UFH on same or different circuit as rads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bough an underfloor heating system to go in a new kitchen from Continental UFH (the Co was recommended by someone on this forum). They are specifically designed to work alongside rads and come with their own pump. So at a quick glance through the installation manual, it calls for heat at different times than rads and effectively the boiler is ON all the time, is this right?

The price of oil (N Ireland) is going through the roof and someone has advised to put it on the same circuit as the rads and install a couple of rads in the kitchen as well, basically making the UFH a secondary heating supply. I'm now in 2 minds what to do, I really wanted UFH without rads, seems a bit silly doing both. Does the UFH not call for heat far less than the rads, albeit more frequent? The same person said on the odd summer eve when it's cold, you'll not b e able to have instant heat, likewise, get rid of the heat when it warm again the next day???

Sponsored Links
But this system is specifically designed to work with conventional rads - has its own pump so has nothing to do with calling for heat same time as rads would. But what someone has said is to put in on the same pump/time clock as rads. To me this doesn't make sense - OK for a small room but this is a 45m2 kitchen diner, it won't get the chance to get warm...?

How does the UFH system call for heat from the boiler? Is the UFH heating circuit connected from the boiler via its own motorised valve? I note that a ‘key feature’ of the Continental CP2 system is that it ‘links to your existing radiator circuit’. This would suggest that it relies on hot water being available in the radiator circuit rather than having its own separate heating supply.

See the diagram in this document for a typical combined radiator/ UFH/ DHW system, each with independent controls:
http://www.underfloorheatingsystems.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/UHS_One_Large_Zone_23_5_2007.pdf

Sponsored Links
But this system is specifically designed to work with conventional rads - has its own pump so has nothing to do with calling for heat same time as rads would. But what someone has said is to put in on the same pump/time clock as rads. To me this doesn't make sense - OK for a small room but this is a 45m2 kitchen diner, it won't get the chance to get warm...?

You may imagine that but the characteristics of UFH are still the same. No one can change that.

Except for large rooms and with occupants who are retired or work from home I see little advantage of UFH for most people apart from increasing heating costs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back