UFH Single Room Kit to feed 2 rooms!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am thinking of getting a David Robbens single room kit (up to 14m sq) to heat the 2 new rooms I have had built - a utility room and a study.

The study is 2.2m x 2.9m,
The utility is 2.2 x 2.13 m and will have a u-shaped unit layout around it.

The floor will be celotex with screed. There is a block wall dividing the two rooms.

Questions:
1) Will it be possible to use the single room kit to serve both rooms. I understand that they would have to be on the same "zone" and would not be able to be adjusted independently.

2) Should I lay pipes underneath the "cupboarded" area, or should I just put them under the open floor area?

Any thoughts or advice welcommed.

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
Don't see a problem Paul. Don't lay any pipes below the base unit area mate, just in case they are used as a larder.

If you want to control your UFH at times other than your other Central Heating, you'll need to ensure it's not just piped up as radiator & there's a control system for it.
HTH

Thanks a lot. I was thinking it would be best to avoid putting the pipes under the cupboards.
Will get them plumbed up as their own zone with separate controls.

Sponsored Links
Which room will you have the control stat in?

Good question.

Practically, the manifold will be in the utility. Will this affect where I should put the control stat? I would imagine that I would want my stat in the study as this is the larger and more important of the two rooms to heat to a comfortable temperature. Is there some kind of probe that needs burying in the slab or does it work on room temp?

In many cases, I would be inclined to put some UFH under the cupboards in order to try to achieve enough heat output to the room.

But the design of the cupboards will greatly reduce the heat output.

In my kitchen the clear floor area is less than a half of the whole!

In an ideal world if heat output is not critical then as long a you can get enough heat output from the open areas then it would be best to concentrate the UFH pipework there.

I am not an enthusiast for UFH in kitchens as it does not respond to the variable heat output from cooking activities.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

There shouldn't be any cooking going on in the utility, we are not even having a tumble dryer - really, it's an organised junk store with a washing machine in the corner!

The units will cover almost exactly half of the available floor area, though will be more to one side than the other (if that makes sense)

Should the 2 rooms be on separate loops of the system? This seems to make sense but I don't know if the 2 loops are supposed to be equally sized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back