"Ugly" uPVC Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to the forum and a new homeowner (just finishing the buying process).

Our soon-to-be home has 2x full height uPVC windows at the front with.... White uPVC board at the bottom.

Personally I don't like it, any suggestions on how to make it look a bit nicer? The panel is not visible from inside as somebody has put plaster over it very nicely but the outside isn't very good looking IMO.

Any advice or opinions, thanks :)

Marsh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122-102226.png
    Screenshot_20230122-102226.png
    886.3 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Presumably someone was lazy when a door was removed. That's what it looks like but if the whole block is the same some architect somewhere obviously thought it looked nice.
To me the aspect ratio of the window part is wrong- it looks too tall for its width.
You could look at vac form brick or brick slips on the outside but unless you match the bricks exactly it'll look a bit poo. Better to remove the whole unit, brick up to sensible height and put new windows in.

Sponsored Links
Presumably someone was lazy when a door was removed. That's what it looks like but if the whole block is the same some architect somewhere obviously thought it looked nice.
To me the aspect ratio of the window part is wrong- it looks too tall for its width.
You could look at vac form brick or brick slips on the outside but unless you match the bricks exactly it'll look a bit poo. Better to remove the whole unit, brick up to sensible height and put new windows in.
Thanks, yes all the same in about 20 different houses on a small council estate.

In which case if we did change the units we would probably opt for one large window between the two... Thanks again!

An alternative may be to remove the plaster board and glaze the lower panel?
It may be possible to simply and cheaply swap it out for a sealed unit, without having to change the frame.
You would just need to investigate what is behind that plasterboard!
Perhaps there are other houses on the estate, that have glazed lower panels?

An alternative may be to remove the plaster board and glaze the lower panel?
It may be possible to simply and cheaply swap it out for a sealed unit, without having to change the frame.
You would just need to investigate what is behind that plasterboard!
Perhaps there are other houses on the estate, that have glazed lower panels?
There are some but.... They aren't the best looking and it's hard to see it make much improvement, was wondering if I could cover it with stone or something but that might make it look worse

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122-125700~2.png
    Screenshot_20230122-125700~2.png
    853.9 KB · Views: 54

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back