Uknown roof type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

I'm looking to replace my existing garage roof which is literally disintegrating. The only problem is i am not sure whether the current roof contains asbestos. It was built around late 1980's and the roofing is grey concrete looking corrugated strips. Any suggestions as to what this material might be. I suspect it is concrete asbestos, is it normal for this material to fall apart after 15 years?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
ppyujtm said:
The only problem is i am not sure whether the current roof contains asbestos.
Have it tested by Asbestos sample testing company, look in yellow pages or online etc............

ppy thingy - no it's not normal for asbestos cement to fall apart after 15 years. The stuff stays stable for years and years. This might mean its not but you can never be sure. As masona says, have it tested. Very simple procedure.

If it is asbestos cement it is very dodgy if it's crumbling - be very careful.

Sponsored Links
Asbestos cement was not banned until 2000 - it was certainly still being up to 1999.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back