Un finished work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours builder has left my roof exposed to the elements, i have asked him to fix it, lead flashing and re git the tiles, but has said he will give me a quote, he temoved it in the first place, my neighbours are ignoring me and doing nothing to resolve this, any dolicitors thst can give me advice?

Sponsored Links
Ptbs 44, good evening.

You could try?

1/. Citizens advice?

2/. Building Control?

3/. If you need Legal Advice, your home Insurance generally covers for a limited area of funding for such matters.

Ken.

Thanks ken, spoken to coincil, don't get involved in legal matters, so off to see citizens advice,
thanks paul

What work is the neighbour having done that required the builder to open up your roof?

I would write to the neighbour and builder giving them 24 hours to fully reinstate and weatherproof your roof or you will take legal action against them for the cost of repairs and all associated damage caused by water penetration. Take lots of photographs of the damage to the roof and any internal damage.

Sponsored Links
I have contacted both and they are both ignotinf my requests, they have renewed there roof that links to mine, it's a listed building and works were started without consent, works to a listed building, there's has been completed, and I'm left with a roof with no tiles, and a tarpaulin

Hang on a minute. You allowed the neighbour's builder to completely strip your roof and now there is a delay whilst he writes a quotation for re-roofing?

If you agreed he could strip the roof it is between you and the builder, nothing to do with the neighbour.

If I was you I would be getting quotes from other roofers to get you roof reinstated.

They removed the tiles and lead work to my roof where there's ran into it, and now are refusing to reinstate, the flashing and tiles, i don't see why i should pay for something that I've not created, they've done the work not me, it was pwrfectly ok before the work commenced

So you haven't got a roof with no tiles, just a strip where next door's roof meets yours?

So back to my original suggestion, WRITE to the builder and neighbour giving them 24 hours to make it weathertight and 7 days to reinstate your roof covering. This work should be at no charge to yourself so no need for a quote.

Get quotes from other roofers to fix your roof. If neighbour does not get it sorted then you pay your roofer to do the work and take neighbour to small claims court for cost of repairs to your roof plus any associated costs, solicitor, surveyor etc.

Cheers wessex 101, i have a roofer coming later, as it needs to be sorted, will end up at small claims

Was there an agreement btween you and your neighbour that your neighbour's builder could do any work to your roof ?

If there was no such agreement and the builder did not have your permission to work on ( or damage ) your roof then it may be that criminal damage has been caused to your roof. That could be a police matter if other nethods do not resolve the matter.

Criminal Damage Act 1971 is click here specifically mentions reckless behaviour

(1)A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

(2)A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—

(a)intending to destroy or damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be destroyed or damaged; and

(b)intending by the destruction or damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered;

shall be guilty of an offence

I have contacted both and they are both ignotinf my requests, they have renewed there roof that links to mine, it's a listed building and works were started without consent, works to a listed building, there's has been completed, and I'm left with a roof with no tiles, and a tarpaulin

Are you saying your neighbours have done building works without Listed consent?

Since that is a criminal offence, they might like to be reminded of that -if the conservation officer is told, he might insist on reinstatement if there have been any material changes.

If you are talking about your roof -that wont need consent if its just removing tiles and reinstating them

it's a listed building and works were started without consent,
that wont need consent if its just removing tiles and reinstating them

I am about to repair the roof of an outbuilding that is not listed but is in the curtilage of my listed cottage. Listed Building Consent is needed before I can start the repair.

I know, there jib was stopped on the basis of no consent, they have had it passed off and approved now, leaving me with this mess

Have a word wit the Conservation Officer?

I cannot imagine the work undertaken and approved would include work or otherwise on your roof as well as theirs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back