Unable to access boxed in toilet cistern for repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1D44CBEA-55BD-46AF-A235-6D6BDF06DD52.jpeg59407ECC-0139-4051-9013-E9864E3D1634.jpeg

Hi

Am sure this must be a common problem by now. Bathroom fitted about 10 years ago with boxed in flush etc. I seem to recall the fitter saying not to worry about access “as they never fail”.

Is hacking away at tiles and/or ledge the only solution?

I imagine there must be lots of these designs, just waiting to fail.

Photos for info.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what needs fixed. I'd Cut the worktop first and see if There's enough access before going through the tile.

Ta. Is this a common problem? Just seems daft to box in this way in first place

If the button not working? Try pulling it out to see if the air tube is snagged or leaking. On my boxed-in cisterns I made the lids removable, good thing too because the Geberit flush mechanisms started leaking down the pan, a known problem for which Geberit have issued a fix.

Sponsored Links
Why the fook would anyone think that boxing a cistern with no access for maintenance was acceptable. ??

Should have said that when you push button, you only get a trickle of water, so have to push repeatedly to complete flush. Can it be pulled away from wall without breaking or dislodging anything.

Ta

Should have said that when you push button, you only get a trickle of water, so have to push repeatedly to complete flush. Can it be pulled away from wall without breaking or dislodging anything.

Ta
It's like trying to eat a boiled egg without breaking the shell ;):)

Can you not access the back of the push-button through that cupboard door? If so you can remove the button and check hoses and button. All of this is only a temporary fix obviously as at some point you will have to access the cistern to renew fill or flush valve components. A rectangular hole in worktop won't be difficult but covering it up again will require a bit of thought.

If the push buttons are pneumatic, it sounds as if you have an air leak. If mechanical, a linkage may be seizing up or need adjusting. It should be possible to pull the button plate out to check.

Open cupboard door, reach in and unscrew a large plastic nut holding the button in place, button can then be removed however don`t feel this will get you to where you need to get too which is the flush valve itself.

Depending on how the worktop is attached, and how far you can reach in the wooden cupboard... it might be feasible to disconnect the plumbing for the basin, and unscrew the worktop fixings, and cut the silicon surround, and remove the whole worktop complete with basin as one unit.

Thanks for helpful replies. Cant seem to upload at moment, but can confirm air rather than cable operated push button. Have already tried removing and blowing tube but no joy. Original fitter (unable to do job) recommends removing silicone, then section of worktop, and sink. Doesn’t think any need to break or remove tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back