Unable to connect outdoor light (issue with Neutral wire?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to connect an outdoor light and struggling to fire it up.

I already have a same downlight on the right side of the window and I am trying to add the exact same light on the left of the window.

The light on the left was added by the builder when doing the extension and for some reason he did not connect the left side light before disappearing. The wiring is all inside of the junction box.

The wire marked 'L' in the photo gets the current when I turn the switch on (which is inside the house). I am testing it with the contact voltage detector.

Brown wires marked Loop in the picture always gets the current even if the switch is off.

I connected L and N marked in the picture to the Live and Neutral on the downlight, thinking this is easy, but it does not want to light up. I have confirmed that the light is working by connecting it to three pin plug which I use for testing and it works without an issue.

I am thinking maybe I am using the wrong neutral wire in the junction box? Is there an easy way to find correct neutral wire?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.53.01 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.53.01 (2).jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 120
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.53.01 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.53.01 (1).jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 120
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.53.01.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.53.01.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
Wowsers, black light with white silicone background! Yes, I would say you’re using the wrong “Neutral” wire, looks like it could be a switch live, not neutral just because it’s blue. Cpc could do with some sleeving on it, and the blue switch live (if that’s what it is).

I see, If one of the blue was a switch live then one of them should also be getting a current when I test it? None of the blue wires are getting any current like the live wire. Only the brown wires are showing a sign of getting the current.

Sponsored Links
You need a multimeter to establish what the conductors are.
Your pic shows L&N connected together in a wago , if indeed one was live and the other neutral there would very likely be a loud bang !

Yes you are right. I will test again in the morning using multimeter and if not then looks like it's best left for the electrician.

Is there only one switch intended to operate both lights ,or are there 2 switches ?
Pics of wiring connections at switch/s would be helpful.

Is there only one switch intended to operate both lights ,or are there 2 switches ?
Pics of wiring connections at switch/s would be helpful.
Single switch will control both lights. I am attaching the photo of the switch wiring. The switch on the left is for the outdoor lights.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 19.32.43 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 19.32.43 (1).jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 52
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 19.32.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 19.32.43.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 52
Single switch will control both lights. I am attaching the photo of the switch wiring. The switch on the left is for the outdoor lights.
So, as you can see on that switch, the blue wire is being used as a switched live, just hasn’t been identified with sleeving.

Do the brown and blue wires ,marked L&N ,both come from the same grey sheathed cable ?

So, as you can see on that switch, the blue wire is being used as a switched live, just hasn’t been identified with sleeving.

I see, I tested the blue wire again with switch turned on (marked N in the photo) and the current is being detected on that wire as well as on the Brown wire (marked L). Other two neutral wires connected in the same wago strip does not get any current.

I am using the tester below.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 20.06.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 20.06.55.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I see, I tested the blue wire again with switch turned on (marked N in the photo) and the current is being detected on that wire as well as on the Brown wire (marked L). Other two neutral wires connected in the same wago strip does not get any current.

I am using the tester below.
That tester isn’t very accurate for voltage, or current. Ideally should be a 2 pole voltage tester or multimeter.

If both are connected in the same wago ,as in your pic, either one of those wires becoming live would also make the other one live. Do you have another terminal block ,so you can remove one of the wires ( L or N) and put it into another terminal block,and then establish which one is live ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back