wiring outdoor lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting 5 outdoor lights along a path. I've had a cable installed and it runs from the path back to my house and a switch. This cable gives me power to the first light. My question is do I wire these 5 lights in series or parrallel? I though series so as to get the full voltage across each light. To do this I've connected the first light to the live and taken the return from this light as my live to the second light, I've taken the neutral from the source and connected to the neutral from the cable running between the first and second light finally I've connected the three earth wire together. This is repeated for all the other lights. When I switch on I get nothing. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Sponsored Links
in series you are getting 240/5 = 48volts across each light..

wire each light to a live and a neutral.. :evil:

you should not be doing this anyway since you are obviously not competent or don't even have a basic grasp of electrics to be doing something like this..

if someone or something if hurt or damaged as a direct result of your doing this work you could be sued or even imprisoned...

OMG...get an electrician to disconnect it all NOW before you kill yourself or someone else..

Outside lighting is now covered by its own regulations and should also be RCCB protected..

I am not even going to attempt to tell you how to wire your lights correctly as i dont want to worry about what you could end up doing to yourself or anyone else..

Which regulations specifically cover outside lights? Although it is probably a good idea to have them on an RCD it isn't currently a regulation afaik. I'll agree that it is dangerous and given the risk, would be better done by a competent person.

Sponsored Links
Outside lighting is now covered by its own regulations and should also be RCCB protected...

Er, you're doing it again.

No need to make up your own regulations... the IEE and BSi have already done all the hard work for you.

But, out of interest, can you quote us the regulation that requires an RCD on external lighting?

Which regulations specifically cover outside lights? Although it is probably a good idea to have them on an RCD it isn't currently a regulation afaik. I'll agree that it is dangerous and given the risk, would be better done by a competent person.

Part P covers electrics outside

Quote From Wiki said:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law
"special installation" means an electric floor or ceiling
heating system, an outdoor lighting or electric power
installation

Either notify LABC before commencing work with plans and Fee or employ Part P registered sparks.

part P covers the notification of electrical work..

it does not give specifics about what should and should not be rcd protected.. which is what the question was about..

there are no specific regulations that i know of that specifically deal with outside lights.. ( however my regs knowledge is sparse to say the least.. i look up what i need when i need it.. ).

as long as a reasonable risk to livestock or persons does not exist and the circuit meets the criteria for disconnection times then there is no need to rcd protect it.. it's not going to be used for portable equipment..

dingbat";p="758156 said:
Outside lighting is now covered by its own regulations and should also be RCCB protected...

Outside lighting is covered by part p of the building regulations, thought you would have known that...The bit about the RCCB is a personal preference, i can see from my wording how you assumed i meant it was covered by a reg for outside lighting and for that i apologise.

As with all electrical work the installation should meet IEE 16th/17th Edition Wiring Regulations (BS7671) standards. If in doubt, have work checked by a qualified electrician or company. Some electrical work is now subject to Part P of the Building Regulations and must be undertaken and certified by a competent person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back