Unable to strip paint from Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I don't expect it to be easy to strip paint from plasterboard but I've been trying for a couple of days and it wont budge.

I first tried a paint stripper but it barely made a dent after an hour.

Then after checking a few forums I picked up a Pole Sander and I have a similar problem.

The paint is in my bathroom and suffers from damp near the shower and mould near the window so I need to remove it from the walls and ceiling to treat and repaint.

Methods I have tried so far would take months to clear the whole room.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Just wash it with bleach to kill the mould the use a damp proof paint or oil based undercoat to cover the staining

Just wash it with bleach to kill the mould the use a damp proof paint or oil based undercoat to cover the staining

It's not just the mould. The room does need repainting but I can't get the old layer of paint off the wall.

I have a big patch near the shower where the one layer of paint has peeled off from moisture. That has exposed the plasterboard.

Apart from that, the paint won't shift from the wall either with a scraper of Pole Sander.

Will a couple of coats over the old paint + bare patches cover OK?

Sponsored Links
Don't be silly, he can't cover the mould with a couple of pictures. :mrgreen:

First off wash the mould with bleach, then you need to either sand down or fill and sand where the paint and bare plaster is to give you a even surface again, then mix Matt emulsion with water about 50:50 ratio to paint the bare plaster then any staining you have from the mould give it a coat of oil based undercoat or if it is damp then use a damp proofing paint as this will allow the wall to breath then you will be ready to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back