Unable to turn off outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ACFB9970-1A9C-48A3-99F6-1BA5B78F1185.jpeg
7E3D3CDE-5DBD-488F-9FDA-585C19FA07B8.jpeg
Hi

Outside tap is leaking. Probably washer, but can’t turn supply off using isolating valve in kitchen. See pictures below. Turned tap clockwise as far as it will go, but water still coming through tap. Have I missed something?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
It's a nasty self-cutting tap - the innards have probably failed. Turn off the mains supply to replace the outside tap washer.

When you have time, replace that dreadful piece of carp (the self-cutting tap) with a proper isolator, double-check valve and drain-off point.

Hi again

You couldn’t do me a massive favour by sending me a link to the optimum products.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
View attachment 146285 View attachment 146286 Hi

Outside tap is leaking. Probably washer, but can’t turn supply off using isolating valve in kitchen. See pictures below. Turned tap clockwise as far as it will go, but water still coming through tap. Have I missed something?

Thanks for your time.
It's a nasty self-cutting tap - the innards have probably failed. Turn off the mains supply to replace the outside tap washer.

When you have time, replace that dreadful piece of carp (the self-cutting tap) with a proper isolator, double-check valve and drain-off point.

Looks more like a washing machine valve, to me !

You don't "keep turning" it. It closes when the handle is at 90 degrees to the the body. Quarter turn tap.

I've done a series of identical outside tap installs my way recently... Elderly widower, and then about 6 of her neighbours in same situation.

I put a lever valve and double check valve inside the kitchen sink unit and then, because of gully positions I had to run exterior surface pipework in a horizontal run... To get round the freezing potential and to make it easier for old ladies with no tools and achey bits, I put 2 bib taps on the pipework... 1 at waist level so they don't have to bend all the time and 1 down low for permanent summer connection to their hose pipes. And in the winter they can just turn the internal lever valve off and use the lower tap to drain the pipework of water. :)

I've done a series of identical outside tap installs my way recently...
Same here,usually the neighbours . Now fit pegler lever hose Union outside taps without check valves.Fit the checkvalves and isolator inside (combined unit).Apparently its good practice not to install check valves outside :D

Longshanks install looks very diy

Hi again

On hols, but bruv staying at house. V mysterious in that we seem to have a problem with stopcock as well as isolating valve. Ie with stopcock and outside tap off, water still dripping through main body of tap! Not withstanding problem with isolating valve in kitchen, shouldn’t stopcock have stopped drip completely? Bruv now going to turn tap on with stopcock off to see if that clears any residual water in pipe. Also, if there was a problem with stopcock not closing, wouldn’t that cause other tap in kitchen to drip? Not the case apparently?

Thanks for your ongoing help. Will probably get plumber to look at on return, but main worry is long term impact of water stain on outside wall.

Why not fit a blanking cap nut onto the garden tap until sorted properly , most garden taps are 3/4 bsp threads . re your stopcock , when this is closed , there will still be quite a lot of water in the house pipework which will need to be drained out before drips stop.

Same here,usually the neighbours . Now fit pegler lever hose Union outside taps without check valves.Fit the checkvalves and isolator inside (combined unit).Apparently its good practice not to install check valves outside :D

Longshanks install looks very diy
Double check valve?

Thanks again. Should have added that leak is between tap and supply pipe. Think this is more gland than washer? Also blanking cap no good here? Finally re stopcock: take point about time needed for water in system to drain even when stopcock off. However, main sink taps not dripping when on, but outside tap off. Back on Sunday so will investigate then. Can you reassure me that no damp likely in these circumstances? (big curve shaped water stain on outside wall?

Thanks again

I used one of those nasty self cutting connectors in our first house when I didn’t know any better. Months later our WC wouldn’t stop filling and when I stripped the float valve down I found the tiny circular section from the copper pipe that is cut when you install that connector, jamming the valve open. Perhaps that’s what is preventing your tap from turning off?

Hi again

Appreciate this is just about a garden tap and about 1 on a scale of 1-10. However, trying to get my head around this glitch with stopcock. Situation is that stopcock is “closed”, but water still dribbling from outside tap (been doing this for a week so not just emptying water in system) How can this happen when sink taps have no drip in on position and when supplied by same stopcock??

Going mad understanding this.

Thanks

if you mean the garden tap is at fault, might be a worn-out tap washer, or a slipped retaining clip. If the washer wears really thin, it can allow internal parts to move out of position.

start by taking it apart and changing the washer, screw the internal parts back if loose, resposition the clip if there is one and it's come out of its groove.

Most likely this will fix it.

If not, a replacement tap will probably cost you less than a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back