Unable to turn off outside tap

Thanks. My main query was how two taps, supplied by a closed stopcock, could behave in different ways?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Thought about that. The kitchen sink taps are marginally higher than outside tap. You wouldn’t have thought sufficiently higher to account for the difference?

Hi again

My problem is complicated. Effectively have three taps in a row which don’t work. 1. Main stopcock which doesn’t close properly. 2. Self cutting tap which doesn’t isolate supply to outside tap. 3. Outside tap which is leaking.

If either stopcock or isolating valve was working, I could fix outside tap in a jiffy. However, both seem to be knackered. Is there a fix for a stopcock that doesn’t close properly? (Not leaking)

Ta

Sponsored Links
if it's just a dribble, you can repair or replace the outside tap.

Post photos, they may suggest ideas.

For the internal tap you can close it in the street in a box like this:

C4F3F12C-2BC0-4162-851F-5A577F6A3C5E.jpeg

Hi

I didn’t think the gizmo to open the pavement valve was readily available?

Thanks

Hi

I didn’t think the gizmo to open the pavement valve was readily available?

Thanks

The ones I've done have just been a normal tap like an internal stop tap. I use an upsidedown line pin and a stilson or a piece of wood with a slot in it if it's not too tight.

9209E157-7323-4065-95E7-99A425DCE2B2.jpeg
248B5288-B53B-46C7-9C3E-E28994D27524.jpeg
Hi again

Back home now. Obvious problem with outside tap- crack. Have bought replacement and want to replace dodgy isolating valve at same time. We had new kitchen about two years ago and only have circular inspection hole in back panel of cupboard under sink. See photos. It would be easier to remove and replace if aI could remove said panel. Should that be possible?

Thanks

The back panel of a sink unit is usually just hardboard, sometimes thin chipboard. You can cut a big hole in it. A multicutter might be safest to avoid cutting anything unseen behind. If you make a square hole it will be easier to fit a removable hatch cover later.

The back panel keeps mice and draughts out, and adds a tiny bit of rigidity, but if the cab is screwed to the wall and/or the worktop, that will hold it steady.

Thanks. The problem is that the panel covers the area where the supply hose goes through the wall to the outside tsp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back