Unable to undo bathroom basin cold tap valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anybody gives me some tips on undoing the valve on my bathroom sink cold tap.
Water just drips only a little so I need to undo the valve to put it back on its thread travel.

Tried using a adjustable spanner but wont budge and worried about forcing it as entire tap unit wants to turn around as well. sprayed it with my wd 40 but wont undo. tried also some adjustable grips but they slipped and rounded it a little.
Please help and thanks for any advice given, cheers.
Kind Regards,
Phil.

Sponsored Links
They can be stubborn.
You need some grips to hold the tap spot, when doing this you best use a cloth between grips and tap, to prevent damage. The a suitable spanner to undo tap valve nut. Then some elbow grease.
I have in the past when the nut was very stubborn, give the spanner a strike with a hammer, to get some movement on the nut.

It could be easier to remove the entire tap and get it in the vice, Phil - especially if its started to swivel on the basin anyway. Do check underneath for leaks either way.
Personally I have a huge adjustable spanner to hold the tap spout, and then use another slightly less huge adjustable to undo the tap insert.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I like to use a ring spanner on the tap valve body, less chance of it slipping 17 or 19mm usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back