unacceptable connection of 16mm2 twin & earth at meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had my fuse box updated to a upto date one. I had to call out an emergency engineer a few days later due to a sudden power loss in the kitchen. I was advised that the it was : a unacceptable connection of 16mm2 twin & earth at meter box.

I was shocked...........what i wanted to know was the 16mm2 twin & earth cable runs about half a meter on the external wall outside being connected through the bottom of the meter box. the cable is covered by a plastic cable cover so it dies not get wet.

IS THIS OK ????? I DON'T SEE THE PROBLEM.....

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the 16mm sq TE is being used as the feed link between the suppliers point and the fuse board / consumer unit?

If so the standard is 25mm for neutral and for live and 16mm for the earth.

Sponsored Links
newcomer100 said:
I was shocked...........what i wanted to know was the 16mm2 twin & earth cable runs about half a meter on the external wall outside being connected through the bottom of the meter box. the cable is covered by a plastic cable cover so it dies not get wet.

IS THIS OK ????? I DON'T SEE THE PROBLEM.....
1. The cable has little mechanical protection
2. The cable probably can get wet
3. The cable can probably be exposed to damaging UV sun light at some points.
4. Its woefully undersized to feed a house
5. Twin and Earth should never be connected to a meter
6. Its probably not adequately protected from overcurrent faults

We'd love a picture for the hall of shame :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back