Unbending timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
After trying three outlets, for timber to make some inside window sills. I ended up with a length from B and Q, but is has a curve all the way along.

I mistakenly thought that I could leave some weight on it overnight, and it would be
miraculously be flat.

So I have two 800 x 170mm lengths, how do I take the curve out please?
Camerart.

Sponsored Links
a different supplier?
You could maybe steam it?
make a big heavy duty poly bag and apply steam from a wallpaper steamer (if you have one) then clamp it to a solid object to cool

I'd just buy a new length and use the old one for something else. Always, always check timber is straight before buying. In my local wood yard you'll always see blokes with a piece of timber running from their eye level to the ground while turning it.

Hi,
Yes, lesson have been learned regarding buying curved timber. I did run my eye along all of it, and I ran out of patience.
Thanks, c.

Sponsored Links
Most towns have a decent timber /builder's merchant where you can wander about and look at the specific bit that you need. It may be bigger than you need but it will be straight

the trouble you have with the sheds is poor timber and automated ordering system
for simplicity we will assume 10% bowed timber
system will order fresh when only say 10 planks in stock
now first order say 50 planks 5 are bowed so when you get to 10 4 or 5 are bowed
next order 8 or 10 are bowed after the fourth or 5th order you have 20 bowed planks to choose from and nothing else most off the time

Hi,
Most of the time, I apply false economy, and spend more time rectifying stuff, than using it.

If they laid the timber out as a wood yard does, would it stay straight?

It took me ages to make the windows shelves out of my curved timber, so I'm going to leave it outside till it straightens, then bring it in to dry out laid flat, then use it.
c.

If they laid the timber out as a wood yard does, would it stay straight?
No necessarily. Some of the issues are down to poor kilning as well as poor storage. In general no timber merchant who wants to stay in business would supply stuff like that on a trade job, although we do have to accept that some of the timber we get is going to be ropey (so you always order extra - the ropey bits get used for noggins, wedges, etc because they'll never straighten out). It also helps if you can specify a better grade of timber such as joinery grade redwood as opposed to the whitewood that B&Q often supply. As for steaming it, good luck. Softwoods generally aren't suitable for steam bending

you have a less than 50% chance it will go flat
then if you get it flat theres a good chance it will bow again
the problem is the timber is converted to planks before the trunk has had enough time settle and relaxing to its finished shape so carries on when converted

It isn't necessarily firewood - it's just stuff that can be used for shorter pieces

Hi,

It's timber, and curved as if it is tightening around the centre of the tree. In a previous life, I worked with a carpenter, who explained this curve and how to choose which way to work with a length of timber, say to make a shelf, so that the natural curve would be less because of the weight of the stuff on the shelf.

As mentioned before, I have to steal myself to diy, and I've decided to tidy up the kitchen today, but leave the window sills till later, so I'm going for the odds in post #9 of 50/50. I'm going to put the sills outside, laid flat with spacers, and see if they straighten out, then dry them flat, then paint them and see what happens, then report back.

Thanks, C.

Hi,
For anyone still interested in my curved timber!
I put it outside, with weight on it, till it straightened out.
Brought it inside, with weight on it, left it for ages, till it was dry again.
Most of the curve has come out and has stayed almost flat.
C.

Hi,
For anyone still interested in my curved timber!
I put it outside, with weight on it, till it straightened out.
Brought it inside, with weight on it, left it for ages, till it was dry again.
Most of the curve has come out and has stayed almost flat.
C.
By curved, do you mean cupped -ie when you look at the end of the board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back