Under cabinet lighting bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
As the bulbs failed in our under cabinet lights never really got round to replacing them until the wife informed me they had all gone (x4) so I purchased 4x led bulbs but when I turn them on they flickered once and off?
Are the LEDs not compatible or other reason?
Any help much appreciated as the wife is beginning to shout :D

Sponsored Links
It will depend on what type of lamps you had in place before and probably whether they were 12v (transformer) or 230v in operation.

For example if you had 12v lamps (MR16 or similar) then you may have to replace the transformer since they tend to operate within a specific range of say 20 - 60w - which may be less than the total wattage of the new LED lamps.

If you don't know the type of lamp you had in place then a photograph may help to identify it.

Thanks for the reply
The old bulbs were G8 type 5-10Watt
It sounds as if I may have to replace like for like or replace the transformers

If the G8 is the capsule type then I am intrigued by the led version - only seen the American version - suppose someone must sell them here.
Replacement of the lamp is probably your cheapest option.
But personally I would consider replacing the lot with new led under cupboard lighting units.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply....
Now I think about it the led version of this is under £30 on ebay I don't think the flexible strip will last long
So I might just go with that and that just make the wife happy
Thanks mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back