Under-cabinet lights - LED or Fluorescent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of lighting is suitable these days for under kitchen cabinets bearing in mind I want something very bright, not pathetic lighting you sometimes see installed in new kitchens?

Should I go for LED or is fluorescent still the best answer?

T4 Cabinet lights look to be the cheapest solution so is there any advantage in LEDs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Robus T4 linkable under cabinet lights for me, any day of the week, i suggest robus because of build quality and warm (2700K) colour of the light.

LEDs still dont cut it IMO. Especially the cheap SMDs in those strips.

Go with T4/T5 tubes for now. You mght find some non-linkable ones that are cheaper and more flexible in their arrangement.

Thanks Steve and Click Sure.

It does seem that there are some extremely bright LEDs around, such as the Seoul P7 which seems to emit about 900 lumens at 10 Watts.

However, the cheapest is £9 plus postage for the raw, naked LED. It would need heatsinking and a power supply. (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/SSCP7ebay1 )

I guess the problem with something like this is the light is not very diffuse.

So I'll probably stick to fluorescent for the time being.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
My partner's family have LED strip lights in their bathroom and kitchen - they're very harshly coloured compared to the lighting within the rest of the room and in my opinion look a bit silly -

personally I would go for a strip light as suggested above, much more practical in terms of providing a usable/complimentary light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back