under cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
want to install under cabinet lights in new kitchen.

What do i need to do, i want them to have their on switch seperate from ceiling lights.

Sponsored Links
the least disruptive way is probablly to spur a switched fcu off a kitchen socket, fit a 3A fuse and wire the lights from its output.

plugwash said:
the least disruptive way is probablly to spur a switched fcu off a kitchen socket, fit a 3A fuse and wire the lights from its output.

My ceiling is basically down so is there a way to do it from the existing lights i have a 3 gang switch 1 for each half of the kitchen and 1 for the cabinet lights

Sponsored Links
Do you know whether you have the supply going to the switch, or to one of the kitchen lights? If it's in the switch, you can take a T+E 1.0mm cable from there to the top of your kitchen unit. This is the best place to fix a joint box for your lights. If they need transformers they can sit on the top too. Then drop the cables behind the units (not always easy) and into the light fittings. If your supply goes to one of the kitchen lights, you need to run a switch cable as well as taking a T+E from the light to the top of the wall units.

If you don't want to disturb your wall above the lightswitch, if you're lucky you may be able to pull one of the single switchline cables (T+E) out, with a new double switchline (3+E) tied to it.

How i'd do it is to fix a 2 amp or 5 amp round pin socket above each cabinet (or run of cabinets), and fit the lights in each cabinet as part of the furniture, and plug each one in, run the cables down the inside of the cabinets. Though theres usually space behind.

The benefit of running the cables in the cabinets individually is that the cable tacking and light fixing can be done on the ground, instead of working upside down with your neck twisted etc. ;) And having the socket above means its out of sight, and you can take the cabinets down in a hurry if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back