Under carpet cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on running some cable under the carpet in my bedroom. The carpet is yet to be laid and the floor is chipboard in the attic. So theres no option to run under the floor since the chipboard has been already laid down.

Can I run a flat 5m HDMI and a very thin 5m optical cable under my carpet between the underlay and held down with duck tape? Is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
It's a bit of a bodge but if it's acceptable to you then that's all that matters. Only put it round the edge of the wall where no one walks and no furniture goes on top of it and it should be fine, although it will probably lift the carpet a bit.

It's a bit of a bodge but if it's acceptable to you then that's all that matters. Only put it round the edge of the wall where no one walks and no furniture goes on top of it and it should be fine, although it will probably lift the carpet a bit.

I know ideally it would be under the floor.

But it has to run down the length of the room, through the middle. I would need a silly length of optical/hdmi cable to run around my room, over 15m i'd say to go around the edges.

Thats why i'll put it between the underlay so hopefully with some tape over it it wont cause the cable to be damaged and no lines through the carpet either.

Hopefully, but I'm asking here as someone may have a better idea.

The middle?? It will break and will cause a line in the carpet that'll get worse with time. Lift the chipboard and do it properly.

Sponsored Links
The middle?? It will break and will cause a line in the carpet that'll get worse with time. Lift the chipboard and do it properly.

Yeah but inbetween the underlay! So will be flush with the underlay and some tape should not cause any lines.

Problem with the chipboard is the skirting is on and its tongue and groove so it will require the entire room to be uprooted.

In my experience they always leave a mark on the carpet and go faulty due to foot traffic, your experience might be different. It's very low current stuff so the worst that can happen is you have to replace the cable every so often and end up with a line on the carpet.

If you work out where the joists are you could cut access hatches in the chipboard using a multitool.

In my experience they always leave a mark on the carpet and go faulty due to foot traffic, your experience might be different. It's very low current stuff so the worst that can happen is you have to replace the cable every so often and end up with a line on the carpet.

If you work out where the joists are you could cut access hatches in the chipboard using a multitool.

Replacing the entire floor would cost £80 ish quid. With these Loft Panels Pack of 3. This would also stop the squeaking issue with the floor.

I would like to create a kind of cavity to run cables often.

Ideally I want an ethernet cable as well run under the carpet/floor.

You think its worth doing? With the product linked above?

Definitely worth routing the cables under the floor if possible. I would also consider running plastic conduit and draw ropes to various locations so you only have to do it once.

probably better asking the chippies in the flooring forum if those boards would be suitable replacements.

Replacing the entire floor would cost £80 ish quid. With these Loft Panels Pack of 3. This would also stop the squeaking issue with the floor.
You would pay less if you try your local builders merchants - shop around as prices vary. Chipboard flooring (example) generally comes in 2400x600mm sheets. You also need to measure the spacing of the joists - if they are at 400mm centres then you'll have to shorten every board in that link by 20mm to keep the joins over the joists.

PS - I'm not a fan of chipboard flooring myself - the large interlocked sheets are a right PITA to lift for access. Traditional floor boards are easier as you can put a fine saw down the gap and cut the tongue off one to lift a board - and then screw it back down.

I have to say that of all the traits in modern building, chipboard flooring is the one I hate the most. Dealing with them is a PITA. I bought a Routabout for dealing with small access points. LINK which is okay if running the cable in the direction of the joists.

Running across the joists where drilling or notching might be required still involves a shallow circular saw cut, and then remedial work with battens and screws and glue to support the repair. All-in-all an unsatisfactory situation just so builders can save a few quid and some time in the build phase.

The cost of a Routabout (and possibly a router too) wouldn't be economical for a one-off job. Similarly the idea of replacing an entire floor seems a bit OTT to me. At some point you'll have to deal with cut edges butting to the old floor, so it might as well be a narrow strip along the direction of the cable run rather than at the edges of the room.

FWIW, 2"x1" battens, screws and Gorilla Glue work well enough for me.

If laying in pipe as a cable conduit then use something with a really large diameter. Also choose something where elbow joints are not tight 90 degree bends. 112 degree offset bends are better if pulling cable. There's two reasons. The first is physics; you lose a lot of power pulling cable round a 90 degree bend. The send is materials science; PVC-covered cable rubbing past PVC piping creates stiction. Guttering would be my preferred choice. I saw this from the experience of pulling cable through waste pipe-sized bores in other installation. There was a house builder I did some work for on a few occasions. They often installed 32mm waste pipe as cable conduit. Trying to pull HDMI through without straining the actual cable was a huge pain.

Thanks for the advice, really useful stuff!

Regarding chipboard, I thought that is the only thing you can use in attic conversions? What is better alternative (aside from proper floorboards). Having alot of creaking/squeaking issues which seems an inherent problem with chipboard.

Seems I will need to cut holes in the floor, I know which way the joists run but between each length of joist is a block on wood to keep the lengths straight. Therefore it will be very tricky to fish cable across the floor.

I really prefer to change the whole floor. To stop the creaking at put in some sort of conduit. Although I dont know how much it will cost to get someone in to do this. Any ideas?

The only time I had chipboard flooring was in a new bathroom. Squeaking was cured by drilling holes and fitting countersunk screws instead of nails.

To get a cost estimate you'll have to call in a professional. No point in asking us.

The only time I had chipboard flooring was in a new bathroom. Squeaking was cured by drilling holes and fitting countersunk screws instead of nails.

To get a cost estimate you'll have to call in a professional. No point in asking us.

Just a general inquiry, I suppose its not big job. Remove old floor and adding new one. Room is empty as well.

I'll make some calls or try myself[/youtube]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back