Under decking - do you need to remove turf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to make a start on my decking project and realised that there is a huge amount of turf to remove :LOL: - and get rid of somewhere...

Does it need to be completely dug out - or will the membrane and gravel kill it anyway - does seem like a waste of effort and cost if not really required... :confused: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
consider removing the grass completely underneath or covering it with a weed barrier will prevent grass coming through and weeds. Remember to create a drainage system under the area so it doesnt flood.

I am planning to put down a weed supression membrane, support deck posts with 2' square slabs and cover the area with a layer of 20mm limestone gravel...

Drainage is good in this area as about 2 feet below topsoil is all sand :rolleyes: :( - not so good for the plants...

If you put slabs onto turf, the latter will rot down over a month or two and your lovely level deck will end up a pile of crock. Make sure you do the posts properly, although you could indeed leave the turf if you want to.

Sponsored Links
If you put slabs onto turf, the latter will rot down over a month or two and your lovely level deck will end up a pile of crock. Make sure you do the posts properly, although you could indeed leave the turf if you want to.

Ah yes - good point... but - with all this dry weather the grass is all but dead and has pretty much come off scraping with a hoe :rolleyes:

I was going to sink the slabs for the front posts anyway so that they can be covered with the gravel - so I guess that's another reason to do it! LOL :LOL:

Thanks Wabbit :mrgreen:

Just make sure they are sunk and supported enough - dont rely on topsoil not moving over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back