Under floor heating - Bleeding ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house that has UFH coupled to a ground source heat pump.

Unfortunately it appears the upstairs loop is air locked as the temp is well down and there is very little heat from the supply line manifold (red) or the return line manifold (blue). They did have a leak previously and the system was drained down, repaired, refilled but down stairs is warm

What should the supply flow indicators (red with clear top indicating flows) be set at on the hot water manifold (non present on the cold return) and how do you adjust these flows (red)? as they are indicating 0 on 6 losps with 2 others only on 1.

Some of the clear flow indicators have a slight level of water in them is this normal or should they all have water in them or none ?

To bleed the upstairs loops do I need to isolate the both the downstairs and upstairs main ball valves (supply and return), hook up a hosepipe to the upstairs supply manifold and refill with mains water, draining via a hose to force out any air or do I need to isolate all loops upstairs and do each on in turn with the mains water to drain?
Also is an inhibitor used in the heating loop water ?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
you might be better getting an engineer as you have a lot of questions.

There would normally be a filling loop and bleed points or AAVs.

Tony

there is a filling loop but this only tops up the system pressure and amount of water not get rid of air and there are bleeds but these are not getting much if any air out - this is why I thought a complete purge may be in order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back