Under Floor Heating Stopped Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks ,

I have an underfloor heating mat system in my bathroom . It has worked fine for 10 years with no problems , but has recently stopped working .

The display on the thermostat is still there , but the current temperature is shown as 15 degrees , no matter how high I set the thermostat , and the floor is cold .

I haven't changed any settings , or done any work in the bathroom (tiled floor , btw) .

I wonder if replacing the thermostat would be an option , or should I call someone out ?

Any advice much appreciated .

Colin .

Sponsored Links
I have no idea of your ability, personally I would either temporary short it out, or test thermostat continuity, but I am an electrician so it seems easy to me.

If you don't know what you are doing it would likely be better to get an electrician to look at it, it could be a fuse or RCD tripped, but question then is why, simply replacing without testing is not really the way to go, in a bathroom there should be a earthed mat between the heater and the floor, but word is should, that does not mean every one uses the correct method.

Thanks very much for your reply . If the display screen is still present on the thermostat , would that rule out an RCD or fuse problem ?

There is an isolation switch , so I`ll switch it off until its sorted . I was hoping against hope it would come back to life - its bloody freezing in there LOL .

Ability-wise I`m not an electrician , but I`d class myself as a competent DIYer and know my limitations !

Sponsored Links
Just thought Id update this thread , for reference , as I managed to resolve the issue .

I spoke to the tech dept of the supplier and he reckoned it was a fair bet that the thermostat was the problem .
I decided to take a punt and order one (Aube 232 th) .

It arrived , and it is in 2 parts . The base unit , for the wiring , and the thermostat itself , which plugs into the base .
I thought the simplest option would be to leave the original base unit , and just replace the thermostat .

Once complete , I switched back on and everything seemed fine . However , once the desired temp was reached , it then cooled back down and the heating stopped working .

I then replaced the base unit , switched on , and everything now works ok .

Presumably , there must be a switch within the base which malfunctioned ?

Thanks .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back