Electric underfloor heating replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into a new house which has electric underfloor heating in the bathroom. The thermostat is pretty awful and difficult to use, with poor instructions, however it was working ok at first - BTSKY Room Programmable Heating Thermostat

I changed some settings for the timing and desired floor temperature, but now it doesn't warm up to the set temperature, no matter how long it is left on for (it does warm up to about 25C, but never over - and used to go much higher)

I'm thinking of replacing the thermostat, but not sure if I can just replace it with a new unit as they seem to all come with their own temperature sensor, so not sure if the current one would be compatible.

I can't find much information about replacing them if they are faulty, is this possible?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The sensors are all fairly standard probes.

You will need to get one that’s man enough to switch your current mat (they’re all fairly standard but it’s best to be safe)

Look up the specs for what you have, then buy one to match, swap over. Job done.

The maximum floor temperature for underfloor heating I think is 28°C so getting the room to 25°C it doing rather well, I looked and it seems rated at 16A or 3600 watt and uses a NTC B=3380 10k @25degrees Celsius sensor. Copied from the advert.

I have under floor heating in our wet room and to be frank it's useless to heat the room with, it does dry the floor and that is about its limit. If installed correctly the external thermostat that measures the floor temperature should be in a pocket so you and remove and replace it. However I used too sharp of a bend, and it will not come out, so to replace is a major job.

The problem is you need a thermostat able to monitor two temperatures so has to be the special for underfloor heating.

The maximum floor temperature for underfloor heating I think is 28°C
I believe the WarmUp max floor temp is 31°C but totally agree, not much use for warming the room.

Good for taking the chill off tiles when there’s a rad in the room too though

Sponsored Links
I believe the WarmUp max floor temp is 31°C but totally agree, not much use for warming the room.

Good for taking the chill off tiles when there’s a rad in the room too though
It seems 27°C to 29°C reading this report depending on floor type. The report is rather critical there is a good reason why we stopped using the Roman hypocaust in the UK, it simply does not warm the house.

OK today with insulation methods used in buildings and using heat recovery units so very little is wasted it can work when used 24/7 but it is the 24/7 bit which is its down fall, we tend to only heat areas in use, the modern Myson radiator would seem about the most efficient method to centrally heat a building today, and the reason is it holds so little water, the whole idea is fast warm up.

We consider efficiency as the ratio between warm up time and use time, so one hour to warm up room and used for one hour the 50% efficiency, use it for 3 hours then 75% efficiency, but if it take 15 minutes to heat and used for an hour then 80% efficiency. Using this formula if a room is used 100% of the time then it does not matter how long it takes to heat the room you still have 100% efficiency, but we rarely use rooms for 100% of the time. So a blown hot air central heating radiator is best, and the under floor heating is worst, however it does not quite work out that way, as although having a fan to circulate the air means fast warm up time and whole room warm with no cold bits at the floor level it also means no cold bits next to the windows or any other area likely to transmit heat out of the house, so heat loses with circulated air are higher.

Since we need heat recovery units as we need fresh air in the house, and these also circulate the air it becomes hard to measure which are the best heating methods, and circulating air over the heated floor also means the floor can push more heat into the room without going over temperature. However although I know the heat recovery unit is the way to go to conserve energy, I have not fitted one, OK less than £150 for a single room unit but it needs a hole boring in the wall and wiring in as well and I have instead put up with a few drafts from under the no threshold doors required since mother is in a wheel chair.

But I do have under floor heating in the wet room, and it is used twice a week Tuesday and Friday to ensure the floor dries after showers, not before the shower to get feet warm, there is that much insulation under the floor the floor never really feels cold, it's used after the shower to dry out floor so no one slips on a wet floor even with heat on it can still take 2 hours to dry if not also mopped down.

I actually have a major problem at the moment with the under floor heating, the hall connects mothers bedroom, living room, wet room and stair case with outside access to front door together, and is used as the location for the main thermostat to turn off central heating when not required. If the under floor heating is left on in the wet room and the door is left open, it is just enough to tip the balance and stop central heating firing up in the morning. The way around the problem is to use a second thermostat wired in parallel in the kitchen to give the morning boost to get rooms warm in the morning. Once the weather gets colder it will not be a problem, the heat from the under floor heating is never enough to heat even just the wet room in winter, without the towel rail that room would be bitterly cold, however I have been looking at the thermostat you want to get rid of to replace the non programmed version I am using at the moment so the floor can be auto switched on at 6 am rather than being left on over night on days when mother is due to have a shower. So would be interested to hear about what is wrong with the programmable version?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back