Limiting Power Draw from Underfloor heating system

Sponsored Links
Apart from the obvious connection, we never used triangular diagrams with that mnemonic ....
Nor did we, but we certainly used the mnemonic, seemingly effectively (given that I still remember it best part of 60 years later!)
, I can't even see how the stupid Ohm's law triangles could even be put to use here.
Nor, really, can I.

Kind Regards, John

1680734905096.png

Code:
And   fourth   attempt   4 using </>
And   fourth   attempt   4 using </>

1680734986402.png

EDIT: And this time perfect but I don't think I did anything different.

Nor did we, but we certainly used the mnemonic, seemingly effectively (given that I still remember it best part of 60 years later!)

Nor, really, can I.

Kind Regards, John
Sir Olivers Horse am Ambling Home To Olivers Aunt
Should Old Henry Catch A Herring Trawling Off America

My indent button simply forwards to the next para

Sponsored Links
I suppose, as it was always written for us in a triangular form, that is the only way I can 'see' it.
I wonder how you imagine it?
Purely as
Code:
SOHCAHTOA
rather than
Code:
 O   A   O
S H C H T A

I suppose, as it was always written for us in a triangular form, that is the only way I can 'see' it. I wonder how you imagine it?
Purely as
Code:
SOHCAHTOA
rather than
Code:
 O   A   O
S H C H T A
Yes, I'm pretty certain that it was the former ('purely as' the series of letters).

However, as with the 'Ohm's Law equations', for the last many decades my mind has simply 'known' what ratios are represented by sine, cosine and tangent, so I haven't even needed to think of that mnemonic for all those decades - so I'm trying to recall a very distant era!

My primary professional education was in a field which was (and undoubtedly still is) absolutely crammed with mnemonics - to the extent that I still have at least a couple of large (and very dusty) books on my shelves entitled "Mnemonics for Students" or suchlike! Again, there were only ever 'a series of letters' (no triangles or suchlike) - although students (being students!) invariably changed those letters into words (starting with the letter concerned) resulting in what were 'very memorable' (but usually totally 'unspeakable' :) ) phrases. However, that was purely for the purpose of the 'parrot learning' of facts, not requiring any 'understanding'.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose, as it was always written for us in a triangular form, that is the only way I can 'see' it.
I wonder how you imagine it?
Purely as
Code:
SOHCAHTOA
rather than
Code:
 O   A   O
S H C H T A
The problem with SOHCAHTOA is actually trying to remember the correct letters as it sounds like SOCKATOWER (tow as in towpath)
and even sock it to her (sound like sock it 2 {h}er) which at the time was a phrase in common use and fitted with local corruption of the spoken word.

We learnt it as :
1680736617121.png
I don't recall the triangles being taught by our teachers for this but by the time we learnt Trig our Ohms law had been ingrained into us.

As an aside to this my grandson was doing some homework: let's say
1680737517242.png
and needed to find N

so divided by M
1680737615280.png
then cancelled
1680737654427.png
and cleaned up
1680737708773.png
He could not see what he'd done wrong, he'd even been talking to another student on line about it... until I suggested trying triangle format.

1680738269347.png

He then casually asked if it can be done with a more complex formula?
Worked OK on this one
1680739136743.png

The biggest Difficulty I find teaching transformation is it's frequently written as
1680739680836.png
and the temptation is to put the triangle upside down

Last edited:
The problem with SOHCAHTOA is actually trying to remember the correct letters as it sounds like SOCKATOWER (tow as in towpath)
and even sock it to her (sound like sock it 2 {h}er) which at the time was a phrase in common use and fitted with local corruption of the spoken word.
Yep, next-to-impossible to remember that spelling. That's why most of us turned it into a phrase. The one I learned and remember (appropriate for the 60s!) was

Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Acid.

The first few of the others that a Google search finds are:

Some Old Hairy Camels Are Hairier Than Others Are.
Some Old Hags Can't Always Hide Their Old Age.
Some Old Horses Can Always Hear Their Owner Approach.

Kind Regards, John

As an aside to this my grandson was doing some homework: let's sayView attachment 300124and needed to find N

so divided by MView attachment 300125then cancelledView attachment 300126and cleaned up View attachment 300127He could not see what he'd done wrong,
He presumably hadn't noticed that his 'cleaning up' had 'gone wrog', such that what he had found was an expression for 1/N, rather than for N.

it's usually easier (more intuitive), particularly with more complicated equations, to do a multiplication first, since that gets the wanted item 'at the top' ('as a numerator') ... in other words, in this example, first multiply both sides by N, to get X.N = M (the two Ns on the right cancelling), and then divide both sides by X to get N = M/X.

Kind Regards, John

Yep, next-to-impossible to remember that spelling. That's why most of us turned it into a phrase. The one I learned and remember (appropriate for the 60s!) was

Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Acid.

The first few of the others that a Google search finds are:

Some Old Hairy Camels Are Hairier Than Others Are.
Some Old Hags Can't Always Hide Their Old Age.
Some Old Horses Can Always Hear Their Owner Approach.

Kind Regards, John
Oh my goodness, just remembering another which I think was:... She's over Him, C##t above Head, Tits over Arse.

Oh my goodness, just remembering another which I think was:... She's over Him, C##t above Head, Tits over Arse.
As I said in post #66, in my student days, the letters of mnemonics usually got turned into 'memorable (but 'unspeakable') phrases' a lot worse than that one ;)

Kind Regards, John

Am I doing something Wrong?
ICODE are for "inline codes", monospace blocks that appear in the flow of a paragraph. Normal CODE are for blocks.. That icode wrapper around the code block will probably ruin it/cause the [CODE tags not to be interpreted as a block. Not sure why the software is putting them in if you hit edit; it doesn't for me. On other forums I use with this same software, there are separate buttons for inline code and code but on my phone at least I see only one.

When we talk about software (which is the usual use of these things) a program snippet might appear in CODE and then talking about individual lines is done with an ICODE so it doesn't break the flow of conversation, for example:

Your basic program looks like this..

Code:
10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

The PRINT causes one message to appear but then the GOTO locks an infinite repetition of it so the screen floods with the message

I can only get it right in what looks like a quote box.
Code boxes and quote boxes look similar, except for the font and the wording in the header. Looks like it's working as expected for you

has an 'indent' option, which seems an obvious thing to have!
I'm sure it's just a perspective thing, but I can't think of a good use for an indent! (other than a list, which has its own tag set)

ICODE are for "inline codes", monospace blocks that appear in the flow of a paragraph. Normal CODE are for blocks.. That icode wrapper around the code block will probably ruin it/cause the [CODE tags not to be interpreted as a block. Not sure why the software is putting them in if you hit edit; it doesn't for me. On other forums I use with this same software, there are separate buttons for inline code and code but on my phone at least I see only one.

When we talk about software (which is the usual use of these things) a program snippet might appear in CODE and then talking about individual lines is done with an ICODE so it doesn't break the flow of conversation, for example:

Your basic program looks like this..

Code:
10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

The PRINT causes one message to appear but then the GOTO locks an infinite repetition of it so the screen floods with the message
Thanks for this, I've also been doing some Google work and everything I've seen agrees. You have now explained why it appears like:
1680719759873-png.300097

when wrapped with Icodes

I'm sure it's just a perspective thing, but I can't think of a good use for an indent! (other than a list, which has its own tag set)
It's probably just down to my entrenched 'writing style'. When I'm writing documents or, indeed, e-mails, I will often indent things to make them stand out as 'different' from the rest of the text. Admittedly, I most often do so with quotes, URLs or equations etc. , which can be dealt with in other ways with this forum's software, but I also use it for 'paragraphs of less importance' (i.e. "read this only if you want more detail") ......

. ..............[ often within square braces like this, and quite often italic ]

I also sometimes use it to defeat the default behaviour of numbered or bulleted lists, when I want to have more than one paragraph for an item in the list.

However, as you say, that is all just 'me', and you're probably right that the absence of an indenting facility is probably of no consequence for most people.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back