Under floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, A couple of questions about UFH if i may.

I have been told that retrofit UFH and above ground level installations are rather impracticable and costly, so i make the assume that it is possible to have some radiators and some UFH on a mixed system with a single boiler.

If this assumption is correct, then how does the boiler control the water temperature to the different heating ordnance. I understand that the water in the UFH is rather cooler that that in the rads.

Secondly, I am told that the timing of heat in areas with UFH is different from standard rads. I can't easily see how this could be controlled either.

Anybody with the lowdown on such things out there - much appreciated. I am building an extension and want to use UFH in the new bit but rads in the old bit, but i want ot make sure it is a reasonable suggestion before i go much further.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
For a mixed system, the problem of differing temperature requirements can be overcome with a blending kit. They can be quite pricey though.

you will require seperate zone pipework and stat to ufh as it needs to run 24hr with a setback of about 4 degrees at night. Mixing ufh with rads is best done using a heatbank as a buffer to prevent boiler cycling

Sponsored Links
Google system link and then side heading "system zone " easy seperation of circuits

Mostly this has already been mentioned, but your easiest way forward is to buy a ready made manifold-and-blending-valve-and-pump assembly, with thermostat(s).

You then run a new dedicated flow from the boiler, before any other pump or zone valve or bypass, to the u/f zone. The return just tees into the existing return after all other rads.

Thanks everybody that is all extremely usefull. I will get on the case and see what is out there and do my research.

Thanks again. great. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back