under Floor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redoing the whole shower room, and in about a weeks time I wish to purchase install some under floor heating, with thermostat and timer.

Does anyone have any experience of these and could perhaps recommend one of the 'kit' systems on the market?

It will cover about 4m squared, sited on screwed down 7 ply wood floor, and on top will go floor tiles.

I'm planning on running up a separate power cable up from the fuse box to power this.

Any advise suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Is this a really dumb question then as no replies?

If I'm being stupid or missing the point please advise. I'm not easily offended, I just like to learn more...

Thanks

Mark

Hi

Recently did our underfloor heating in the bathroom - not as bad as I thought it would be except for the fact the "boss" ordered too much and cut the cable halfway through! Dont know if you know how to work out the amount you need but spoke to the supplier and the equation they gave me is as follws: floor area minus area of sink,toilet,bath etc (it can not go under the fixed furniture minus 10% of the left over area. If i remember correctly we used heat mat. You don't have to run a seperate supply for this (providing your ring can take the additional load) - I know on mine it required a 13A switched fused spur - has to be RCD protected tho! Hope that helps.

Yes it does help - thankyou.

Did you have the separate timer & thermostat?

Sponsored Links
I did yes - thermostat (prong) lives under the floor and the timer is wired off the switched fused spur! Good luck - ps do not cut the heating cable whatever you do! And make sure there is no exposed heating cable - it must all be covered in adhesive.

would recommend the underfloor heating mat/cable available from screwfix direct. this comes with an installation dvd, showing how to fit both types.

i have recently bought the heating cable and am intending fitting it in my new conservatory.

futureechos said:

no. it just means no-one has read this who can answer the question. tried bein patient and wait. were not paid to be here 24 hours per day to answer questions

andy said:
futureechos said:

no. it just means no-one has read this who can answer the question. tried bein patient and wait. were not paid to be here 24 hours per day to answer questions
we're not paid at all are we? am i missing something? :confused: ;)

for such a small room, you shouldn't need a seperate feed from the consumer unit for UFH, a spur on the ring main should suffice (make sure there's an RCD somewhere protecting it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back