Under rug heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a log fire in the living room but no central heating. I can't justify ripping up the wood floors to install underfloor heating but I am aware of under rug heating. Is this type of heating effective and most of all safe? Can it be connected to a thermostat?

Sponsored Links
There is a chemical type underfloor heating where the resistance of the chemical increases as the temperature goes up so it is to some extent self regulating.

However to control electric under floor heating a double thermostat is used, one probe goes in the floor to limit floor temperature the other in the air to limit air temperature.

Hysteresis is a problem, in real terms under floor heating needs to run 24/7.

Likely the cheapest to run electric heating is the fan heater, not counting refrigeration methods, but it is noisy, so some compromise is required, the lighter the heater is the less delay there is from turn on to getting heat, inferred is really good for places where there are regular air changes but near impossible to control the heat, they or either on or off, no real control.

The underfloor heating is likely the most expensive to run.

Back boiler on wood burner, with a large insulated tank, and a radiator with a thermostat controlled pump, so a good burn does not end heating when fire goes out, but continues to heat hours after the fire has gone out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back