Under Floor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a plumber friend who thinks he may of drilled through sum under flooring heating when drilling to secure a toilet down. Is there some type of test to see if he has? Would a resistence test show up a fault?
If he has wouild it be a case of replacing full lot or just that section he may of drilled?

Sponsored Links
Why does he think that?

Does the system stll work as it should?

You're not supposed to put UFH under the pan...

Yes, a continuity test would be a start, end to end of the element. Then maybe IR between L/N and E.

You can do a resistance test between the ends of the element, and if you know the wattage rating of the heat mat you can work out what reading you should expect to get.

You also need to carry out an IR test between L-E and N-E to check it has not been nicked / crushed

<bah!>

If you know an approximate power rating of the UFH then you could test the cold tails with a meter and get an a resistance reading.If open circuit (infinite resistance) then the UFH is kaput.I don't know of any manufacturers that do repair kits.
If you have a finite resistance then it will be worth doing an IR test on the cables as well to give an indication that the insulation has not been damaged.Disconnect from the controller for this in case it is semi - conductor switched.

Don't forget to do the resistance test on a couple of ranges in case the reading is higher than the lowest range (not all meters indicate this)

EDIT: Bugger

Sponsored Links
I think it is warmup who will come and repair damage mats in situe, but you may have to replace the lot. I think it depends on manufacturer

New2Game said:
Arent they wired in parallel so wud run on seperate circuits?

It depends how it was wired.Usually the (Warm-up) kits come as single circuits with one controller and one temp. probe

The ones I have fitted are just a single wire running backwards and forwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back