under floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the same situation with u/f insulation. and would like to know what this rot proof netting is? Also does loft glass wool insulation do ok-100mm thick? (I am like a duck popping up all over while I'm on this job)
You may take a pot-shot!
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Bylough said:
Also does loft glass wool insulation do ok-100mm thick?

100mm quilt is not enough

90mm celotex/kingspan insulation would meet the u-value

If using quilt it would be 250-300mm at a guess (not sure exactly without calculating it but i know that 100mm is inadequote)

Many thanks, Mr.Winston.
Could I ask further- Is celotex self supporting, and 'breathable' ?
Or could you suggest how would it be suported ?
(Apologies to jose the space for my worming in!)
Thanks again all.

Bylough said:
Many thanks, Mr.Winston.
Could I ask further- Is celotex self supporting, and 'breathable' ?
Or could you suggest how would it be suported ?
(Apologies to jose the space for my worming in!)
Thanks again all.

First of all im assuming that your insulating a suspended timber ground floor like jase the space.

Its not breathable- you will need a 150mm clear gap below the joists with air bricks.

rest the celotex on top of nails or clips or battens fixed to the side of the joists

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Mr Winston, That method sounds more straight forward.
My joists are 75mm*100mm, so the 90mm celotex is ok to fit hard against the floorboards underneath (I have about 1/3mtr air depth under the joists- but, the central heating pipes are suspended (and insulated) directly under the joists- so some heat will rise on occasions I think.
I wonder could this cause condensation maybe on the length of 4mtr?
Also, as celotex is 'airtight'- is it worth the risk of rot setting in over a long period?
I have some obstructions to airflow- ie two long rooms 35 foot in all, long. two hearth slabs, a concreted kitchen beside room needing new floor (no side air flow) and next doors extension near to one of my airbricks.
I worry that there is no track record of insulating suspended u/f insulating.
You can see that after all the good help and advice, the worm might turn- a sad day for environmental green stuff. Thanks again man.
(Sorry jase- I'll get it right next time!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back