Under kitchen cabinet heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of having a new kitchen fitted where we want under cupboard heating to be provided.

We want grilles that are connected to the central heating. Behind these or integral with them are fans which blow the warm air into the kitchen space from under the cupboard units. We want both the grille and associated fans to be connected to a room stat. Is this possible ?

We don't want is the type of heater unit which you have to kick on/off with your foot. We want it to form an integral part of the central heating which works all the time that its on.

Please could someone point me in the right direction for more information on what is available ?

Sponsored Links
Kick space heaters come in a couple of varietys all electric or a heater that connects to your heating circuit that incorperates a fan , with this type providing the unit is awitched on the fan will automatically start ounce the water around the heater is up to a given temperature , this is so it does not blow cold air in winter ! the switches at the bottom are for fan speed high or low , & you also have the facility to overide the fan in the summer so as the unit can blow cold air for cooling !! remote switches used to be available for them !! providing it is switched on it would form an integral part of the heating system , or it can be switched off !!

Simples.
Look up Myson Kickspace for a posh intro.
They're plumbed into the CH sytem, and the fan (normally) comes on when the pipes get up to 45°C.

I just put 2 in with a programmable thermostat and zone valve so they're controllable separately from the other rads, but they could be combined.

Electric ones are instant, cheaper, and in practice higher output, but more expensive to run.

Sponsored Links
You don't necessarily need a 2 port valve, because you don't get significant heat out of these unless the fan is running. When it is not running, it doesn't matter that central heating water is passing through the heat exchanger - it will act as a bypass.

Thank you guys for this excellent information which will get me going. I'm pleased to know that I can have the configuration I want after all.

Just one more small question, but I guess the kitchen company will be able to work this out. How do I calculate the btu rating required for the room itself ? The overall size is 6m long x 2.4m wide x 2.4m high. At the moment there is an 1100 x 700 single panel radiator which has never succeeded in getting the room adequately warm in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back