under stairs storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I wonder if you can give me some pointers. I want to build some storage under my stairs and i'm wondering the best/easiest/most cost effective way to achieve this?
I have attached some pics - one of what I'm starting with (ignore the mess - it wont be there long!), and another of what I would like to build.
Any advice gratefully received :D

//www.diynot.com/network/nickkinix/albums/

Follow above link for the pics :)

Sponsored Links
This might sound obvious, but it depends how handy you are really.

The easiest stuff to do that with is some smooth planed 3" x 2" timber and 18mm MDF. Just make sure you do all your MDF cutting outside or in a well ventilated area.

You might also want to invest in/hire a decent table saw as you need to get your cuts nice and straight with right angles (not wrong angles!!) and decent mitres. An electric planer might be a thought too when you're getting the doors in. A router would come in handy if you're wanting to mount the shelves by cutting out a channel in the panel it's being fitted to.

Use the 3x2 to frame out the alcove and then cut some MDF panels out to box it in. If you're really adventurous, you could line the edges with some 12mm MDF and fit some beading.

Hope that gives you some food for thought!!

you are going to have to plane the life out of the top of those doors on the angle cut to get them to open, not sure if i am a fan of the drawers on show. metal drawer runners are cheap as chips in toolstation.

you are going to have to plane the life out of the top of those doors on the angle cut to get them to open, not sure if i am a fan of the drawers on show. metal drawer runners are cheap as chips in toolstation.

I have all these ideas and tend to work things out as I go along, this time though I thought it best to get some advice first!
I have just finished re-doing my bathroom,boxed in all the pipework, tiled top to bottom, made bath panel, re-layed floor, so I think I should be able to manage to do the cupboard as long as I know where to start. I like the idea of having drawers, but am not too sure how to go about it. I know cupboards would be easier, what would you suggest? (I could always put a set of drawers inside the space.)

Thanks both for replying :)

Sponsored Links
That's your other option. Use the timber and MDF to make square/rectangular boxes that you can slot some flat-pack units into. You'd have to do this for the drawers anyway as you need something to screw the runners to.

That will make the doors and drawers much easier, but the only problem will be getting the doors and MDF panels to match.

a great easy solution to storage and drawers is to have 2 parralel sides with 2x1" planed battons fixed as runners spaced correctly for those stackable boxes with a rim to sit on
very simple very effective

all you need to do is hold a batton on each side off the box and make the sides that far appart

you do have to fully remove the boxes if the item you want isnt in the first few inches but thats a small issue when the same boxes can be stored all over the place under beds ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back