Underfloor, condensing, thermal store and weather comp

Sponsored Links
thats why you use a buffer tank with GSHP....and from there you need a compensated mixing valve...

delta T, the IPHE mag the other day published a report about UFH, the top rating being for screed floors the lowest for UFH in wood floors..

would you like a copy?

but what about heat pumps MM...the don't modulate so you need some way of controlling the flow temp...

Come on, Alec, start another thread if you wish to discuss other matters!

Sponsored Links
thats why you use a buffer tank with GSHP....and from there you need a compensated mixing valve...

Yep, buffer tank, aka thermal store; also required with a lot of chillers to bring the system water capacity up to the minimum specified by the chiller manufacturers.

delta T, the IPHE mag the other day published a report about UFH, the top rating being for screed floors the lowest for UFH in wood floors..

would you like a copy?

And your points is??? The IPHE(aka Dad's Army) were still promoting steel panel radiators when we started fitting UFH here in Scotland 25 years ago. Of course a wooden floor is not the best in the whole scale of things, but to say it needs 80 ° C mean water temperature is just miss-informed drivel.

Why are you not banned for trying to flog boilers on here???

I'm trying to clear confusion for the benefit of others as well as your good self.
It is simply that the best way to connect and control underfloor heating to a condensing boiler is direct to the boiler, not via a thermal store and not via an external pump, blending valve, timer or thermostat.

I think what mysteryman is saying is you should buy a viessmann boiler for the underfloor and another for the radiators, and perhaps a third for the hot water.

Viesmann and Vaillant boilers are over technical to the point of being worthless complicated junk, they do not work in the real world and never will. talk about b******t baffles brains.

Do you controlled temperature circuits onetap ;)

Are you trying to wind me up DIA?

I did, haven't for a long while. ;)
It's not hard, the remarkable thing about them was the number of novel innovative and ingenious ways that people (consultants, installers , users, etc..) could find to fubar a simple, system.

I did a lot of testing and witnessing as well. :D
I have freely offered Dickie the benefit of my wisdom on these matters on many occasions, but he is impervious to common sense.

Not at all Onetap, just asking whether you mean controlled temperature circuits ;)

Which Dickie do you refer to, DeltaT2 would know exactly what you are saying.

So I want 32c under an oak floor, and the rads at the design temperature of 75c, how can this piece of recycled plastic/tin supply direct from the boiler, perhaps I missed something. :eek:

The boiler can't give me 3 different temperatures at the same time, without additional mechanical controls.

Not at all Onetap, just asking whether you mean controlled temperature circuits ;)

If you mean 'controlled temperature circuit' is the equivalent of the American 'system reset', then it's not a term I've come across and it doesn't describe how the temperature is controlled, so not quite the same IMHO.

The NHS & PSA use to use MT & CT a lot (modulating & constant temperature circuits, the former usually involving a WC mixing valve set) , but that was before modulating boilers and TRVs were generally available.

A boiler will be fully condensing when the flow temperature is below 55C. It will be partially condensing with the return below 55C.

Considering Viessman recommend a CO2% of between 7% to 10% :eek: I very much doubt this will be the case with CO2% set to the lower scale , return temps of around 48-50c might be more realistic with a burner set up for 7% CO2.

sorry deltaT, my wrong! all my heating systems are compensated and rarely do flow temperatures go over 50c...who ever would design a system with MWT of 80c....so 50c in wood is fine, as you so rightly point out 80c is far too high for any Ufh (and probably all but the most robust condensing boilers!)

to put it more succinctly UFH with wood on top of screed or in a wooden floor usually runs at a heating curve more typical of a radiator system...ie 1.4 to 2.0, as opposed to 0.4-0.9 in screed....ie the flow temp has to ramp up quicker with wood to over come the thermal resistivity of wood

It was a research article from DECC classifying the compatibility of UFH with heat pumps....wood coverings were the least effective and

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back