Underfloor Heating Fusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My underfloor heating in the kitchen has run perfectly for 2 years since installation.

Last night I noticed it wasn't working so I changed the fuse in the 13a fused connection unit. It blew immediately.

The underfloor heating runs off its own spur from the consumer unit.

Anybody have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
There's a short in the underfloor heating element or the cable from the FCU leading to it? :idea:

Check the resistance with a low-reading meter to confirm - assuming you know what the loading is supposed to be you can easily work out what the approx. value should be.

have you checked for wet patches (eg under sink and washing machine). and i take it there hasnt been any other alteratins in the kitchen recently.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Why would it start shorting after 2 years of continuous service?

I've made no alterations to the kitchen and its a title floor so water shouldn't make any difference (although I will check).

Sponsored Links
ithomson said:
I've made no alterations to the kitchen and its a title floor so water shouldn't make any difference (although I will check).
damp
winter
rain
wind ;) :LOL:

Though the extent to which damp would effect EUFH will vary by manufacturer, since they are built differently. I wouldn't expect the effect to be enough to blow a fuse, TBH.

How is it controlled, if it is not self regulating then has the controller perhaps failed (relay contacts welded in and the element has overheated and burnt through/down to earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back