Underfloor heating, one room not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,
A bit of back ground, built my house back in 2010, two storey 2600sqft 4 bedrooms and have had a series of issues with the heating. The issues coming from the boiler breaking down on multiple occasions, immersion heater never being connected up, some upstair rooms not heating up with the underfloor heating. We found that the plumber blamed the electrician and vice versa. Neither would take the blame for anything. Over the next two years we have had the plumber and electrician in trying to fix the underfloor heating. Now 5 years later we still have one room that does not heat up. This has always been on the to sort list for some time but as it was a bedroom not in use we never got around to it. Well it now is in use and we heat it with a portable radiator.
Things we have done to date:
New actuator for that room, did not work (when I screwed the actuator off the room it did heat)
New thermostat for the room, did not work (when I screwed the actuator off the room did not heat)

Purged the system for the room, did not work
Brought in another installer of UFH who checked settings, etc, did not work
Purchased a brand new boiler all done yesterday and felt some heat through floor and by the end of day no heat at all
I have one bedroom that The UFH does not work in, anybody wish to give solution or advice as we are at our wits end.
Desperate for help

Sponsored Links
New actuator for that room, did not work (when I screwed the actuator off the room it did heat)

I'm by no means an ufh expert. In fact I have very little to do with it. But I'm guessing this is where your problem lies. If room heats when you remove the actuator, and you have changed the actuator so let's presume that the actuator is fine. You need to find the reason why that actuator is not opening. I would have thought it points to a control or wiring issue

No suggestions with that level of information.

With the system running and the actuator removed is there a proven flow through the loops?

This is usually a electrical problem, but I never trust electricians with heating electrics. Nearly always ends in tears.

Sorting out a few issues like this at the moment. All caused by idiot plumbers with clueless sparks.

UFH needs to be controlled properly to work.

You need to find the reason why that actuator is not opening. I would have thought it points to a control or wiring issue[/QUOTE]
Thanks but this has been checked and actuator is opening.

No suggestions with that level of information.

With the system running and the actuator removed is there a proven flow through the loops?

Thanks Dan (sorry but terrible with correct terms and all) the pipe leading to the room that actuator controls heats up and the return pipe also is warm. The man in yesterday was very confused and has never came across something like this. I have changed/corrected everything that he could think of. The only other thing he wanted was the actual pipe layout schematic layout of pipes.

It's a complete head wrecker

Sponsored Links
Could be the pipes were damaged on install. Could be the orientation of the room
Could be the Heatloss too high for the pipes to overcome.
Could be the control strategy is inadequate.
Could be too much furniture in the room. effecting the heat transfer into the room.

Like I said, not really enough information.

Could be the pipes were damaged on install. Could be the orientation of the room
Could be the Heatloss too high for the pipes to overcome.
Could be the control strategy is inadequate.
Could be too much furniture in the room. effecting the heat transfer into the room.

Like I said, not really enough information.
Sorry dan,

The control strategy has been worked with but to no avail, balanced out
No furniture in room until last month so not the issue
The room has heated up 2 months ago so would indicate no damage to pipes
Has been suggested yesterday the size of piping in room but unlikely.
Room did try to heat yesterday but then completely stopped

I've got many options already seen to, looking to know if anyone has ever came across something like this.

Thanks for the reply

The pressure going to the room, I'm not sure of the correct terms. I know the boiler pressure was adjusted. Some other things adjusted but would not have a clue the names.

Pressure is the one thing guaranteed to do naff all.

At the very least each zone/room should have a day/night setback thermostat.

Ideally a a proper programmable thermostat with optimisation functions.

What's the flow rate through that loop when the actuator head is removed, in comparison with when its attached?? What's the FLOOR temperature when as above?
The flow rate can generally be checked on the wee flow meter on the manifold.

What's the flow rate through that loop when the actuator head is removed, in comparison with when its attached?? What's the FLOOR temperature when as above?
The flow rate can generally be checked on the wee flow meter on the manifold.

I'm not sure what that is, I have taken a pic of the downstairs one. The upstairs is harder to get to. The upstairs settings are white box is set at auto, the black level 3 and red around 50. Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 586
Sorry, is the manifold the one with the actuators are connected to??
The heating is set at 22 degrees and flow rate at 1 1/2 litres per min. The wee flow pin for this room isn't working it's just open full.

Yes.

Sounds like the flow indicator is gubbed. So not much use.

Think you're reaching the end of diy solutions.

You'll need to find someone who is FULLY up to speed with ufh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back