Underfloor heating, one room not heating up

Sponsored Links
Very experienced and reputable firm used, trying to fix another outfits problem. It's one of them things I just want sorted now as its dragged on for so long now

Hhm,

We can only give advice based on the information given. If they were there and couldn't figure it out, then we are going to struggle.

Like I said, there are a few things it can be, most easily eliminated with careful checks.

You seem to have this customer expectation that all heating people are equal. You also call them "plumbers" whereas someone who calls himself an engineer might have more skills.

As Dan says, if he was fully clued up then he should have been able to identify the problem!

I also always wonder in these cases if you are paying to diagnose the problem or just "asking them to come and have a look" without any expectation of definitely getting paid! I always charge to diagnose any problem.

Conversely I don't expect anyone to charge if he cannot diagnose the problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Very experienced and reputable firm

This Forum is littered with cases of people using firms described like that who manage to completely mess something up or fail to diagnose very simple faults.

If you remove the actuator from the loop that isn't working, does it heat up?

New actuator for that room, did not work (when I screwed the actuator off the room it did heat)

He seems to be saying it heated when the actuator was removed.

But instead of checking for a supply to the actuator instead it was just replaced with a new one. So surprisingly it did not work either!

Just changing parts is not using any kind of diagnostic skills and can be very expensive. Perhaps that makes a "very reputable and experienced firm" ?

Thought that there were maybe too many questions in one post and it needed boiling down to basics!

Thought that there were maybe too many questions in one post and it needed boiling down to basics!

I'll be honest, a lot of times I lose interest with the DaftyDIYers & general punters on the forum; no photos or wrong photos, limited imformation, questioning my extensive experience, knowledge & modestly.

[/QUOTE]

He seems to be saying it heated when the actuator was removed.

But instead of checking for a supply to the actuator instead it was just replaced with a new one. So surprisingly it did not work either!

Just changing parts is not using any kind of diagnostic skills and can be very expensive. Perhaps that makes a "very reputable and experienced firm" ?[/QUOTE]

The original installer of the UFH system asked for this to be done 3 years ago as him and the electrician started to blame each other for the issue not the latest firm to come out

I also always wonder in these cases if you are paying to diagnose the problem or just "asking them to come and have a look" without any expectation of definitely getting paid! I always charge to diagnose any problem.

Conversely I don't expect anyone to charge if he cannot diagnose the problem.

Tony
I always expect to pay a person when he completes a job
If you remove the actuator from the loop that isn't working, does it heat up?
it did work when the actuator was removed but the installer of the UFH said to change the thermostat which stopped it working again with actuator either on or off.

I'll be honest, a lot of times I lose interest with the DaftyDIYers & general punters on the forum; no photos or wrong photos, limited imformation, questioning my extensive experience, knowledge & modestly.
I posted here as I was asking for help to fix a problem that has dragged on for 5 years, as it is obvious I do not have experts in the UFH world who installed my heating system. I thought maybe someone might be able to help. I apologise for my limited information, limited knowledge and wrong photos as this is not my profession. I just want the room working.
Thank you all for your replies and trying to make a stab at the issue even when my info was vague
If the problem is ever sorted I'll happily post the remedy

Thanks again

The original installer of the UFH system asked for this to be done 3 years ago as him and the electrician started to blame each other for the issue not the latest firm to come out

Thanks again

I always take the view that any competent heating engineer will be totally capable of wiring up any heating system.

If they cannot do wiring then there is no expectation that they will ever be able to diagnose faults as this requires an understanding of electrical systems.

Tony

Exactly!

The advisors here have a reputation for being amongst some of the better people in the industry.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back