Underfloor heating over vinyl tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

I have just bought a load of travertine tiles and underfloor heating (100 watt) on the roll :D

I have pulled up the carpet to reveal a load of old (80's) vinyl tiles. They are tough as boots and will be difficult to pull up!

Can i underfloor heat on top of these? or will it burn in time?

I have two choices if not i think :?: pull up tiles (how do i do this) or lay insulation board, which will raise the floor quite allot, but obviously make the heating more effective!

WHAT CAN I DO, AS MY GIRLFRIEND IS GETTING PEED WITH THE COMMUNITY HALL LOOK AT THE MOMENT ;)

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0322.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum Tobes.
Fitting the insulation boards is the ideal scenario. Having said that, if your vinyl tiles are stuck down as well as they look then the heat involved with the under floor heating shouldn't affect the adhesive that is sticking down the vinyl tiles - it won't be as efficient though.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with under floor heating - slippers do me fine. ;)

have just bought a load of travertine tiles and underfloor heating (100 watt) on the roll :D

I have pulled up the carpet to reveal a load of old (80's) vinyl tiles. They are tough as boots and will be difficult to pull up!

Can i underfloor heat on top of these? or will it burn in time?
What kind of underfloor heating ? is it electric? if not it will be supplied from your boiler via a manifold. Give us a clue fellah. ;)

Sponsored Links
Its 100 watt electric so not too harsh. I was wondering if it would burn through the vinyl. Would a hair dryer or soldering iron be a good test too see how resilient the vinyl is?

i have never done U/F heating so do not know what to expect? i dont want to spend £1500 for it all to cock up in one year :confused:

Thanks for the replies :D

Its matting, which will help on the insulation to the vinyl. are you sure i can do this and it wont cause problems. just want to be totally sure :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back