Underfloor heating power wiring

So it’s 200 W per square m, and 4 sq m. So total 800 W.

In terms of power consumption, I’d say that’s OK to connect to your socket circuit via an FCU.

There may be other safety issues though. Does your consumer unit (“fuse box”) have RCDs? Post a photo of your consumer unit. There may be specific rules for bathrooms as the floor will be in contact with wet feet; I’m not an expert on that.

Sponsored Links
image.jpg
image.jpg
So it’s 200 W per square m, and 4 sq m. So total 800 W.

In terms of power consumption, I’d say that’s OK to connect to your socket circuit via an FCU.

There may be other safety issues though. Does your consumer unit (“fuse box”) have RCDs? Post a photo of your consumer unit. There may be specific rules for bathrooms as the floor will be in contact with wet feet; I’m not an expert on that.

That’s not what I meant when I said ‘Post a photo of your consumer unit’.

I note that the heating cable has some sort of wire braiding around it. What do the instructions tell you to do with that?

Is that connected via an FCU now?

Hi yes I added an FCU with 13amp fuse

Apologies I’ll get a picture of the fuse box in the morning!

And the wire mesh is a protective sheath over the entire cable. It has nothing to connect to. Nothing in manual.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
This conversation is madness. The underfloor heating mat you’ve attempted to install is completely against regulation. Firstly the cable protector you talk of is actually an earth sheath and as such, has to be connected to the cpc ( earth connection in the fused outlet ) . Most importantly, a wet room is classified as ‘a special location’ and as such has to be tested and certified and registered with building control under part p notification. You obviously have no knowledge of electrical installation or how to go about certifying this installation, and should seriously have it installed correctly. Oh and no , you can’t install it on a plug and plug it in. It’s a fixed installation and not an appliance.

Thanks I’ll earth it then.

And see where I stand with this P notice. I’ve taken pictures at every step. And worst case scenario I’ll just put a bath back in so it’s not a wetroom.

gobby little attitude other than the advice I’ll ignore.

That’s not what I meant when I said ‘Post a photo of your consumer unit’.

I note that the heating cable has some sort of wire braiding around it. What do the instructions tell you to do with that?

Is that connected via an FCU now?

Back to the part p certification

The only new electrical appliance is the floor mat. If I just remove it and have a heated towel rack installed by my plumber family member, would it then be ok please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back