Underfloor heating. Pump problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry to be long winded, Advice needed.
My home (Bungalow) built in 2009 with under floor heating installed. Location. South East Essex
We are getting a Pulsating sound and flashing green light on our Grundfos Alpha+ 25-60 (130) pump, linked to our under floor heating and when I looked at the leaflet that came with it, it seams that it was fitted up-side down (cable up) we have a service plan with corgi but it does not cover this item as we have a pump in our boiler or the u/floor heating.
I phoned Grundfos UK and they said that is was nearing the end of it life (just like me) the replacement model: Alpha2 L 25-60 (130) is £225.00 plus VAT...... Big Gulp...
When I told Grundfos that the existing pump was fitted up-side down they said tat that is why it's on the way out.
OK if I get a expert in to do the job, what happens when it fitted, does it go the correct way or up-side down.
The original plumber who installed the system is no longer around. and the company that built our home has gone bust.
Thank in advance for any advice, I'm not technical so please go easy with me. Regards. RG

Sponsored Links
Why is the pump upside down? Please post a pic showing the pump and surrounding area, so we can see the pump in situ.

A pump like that should least at least 10 years.

Until we see a photo we cannot say how it is.

There are two problems, the shaft orientation and the position of the connections.

The connection position is only a problem if it leaks internally.

The shaft orientation will affect the life. As will dirt in the system.

Tony

Sponsored Links
A pump like that should least at least 10 years.

Until we see a photo we cannot say how it is.

There are two problems, the shaft orientation and the position of the connections.

The connection position is only a problem if it leaks internally.

The shaft orientation will affect the life. As will dirt in the system.

Tony
. Hi I have attached 3 photos on my reply to other request, they are in two replies., first time I've uploaded pic's

They are not exactly how they should be posted.

As a result they are very small when I look at them.

From what I can see, the shaft orientation if fine and the connection is acceptable as well.

Tony

Agile";p="3252283 said:
They are not exactly how they should be posted.

As a result they are very small when I look at them.

From what I can see, the shaft orientation if fine and the connection is acceptable as well.

Tony[/quote
Hi Tony, Thank you for your reply

The forum moderator has resized the pictures, A Big Thank You For That.

I was looking a the small instructions that were attached to the pump and they show the pump with the cable entry at the bottom plus I have seen pictures on the internet showing the adjusting thingy on the left, mine is on the right and I had to turn the instructions upside-down to see the small pictures on the instructions.
The pulsating noise is getting louder and I am trying to find a engineer who understands Under Floor heating. I did phone my local plumbers merchant and they told me that I would only need the Grundfos 15-60 130 as my total floor area is only apx. 120 sq. mtrs.

The pump has been fitted so the flow is downwards. This is OK, provided certain requirements are met regarding the static head.

If the pump is just rotated, so it pumps upwards, the water will circulate in the opposite direction round the underfloor system. You will have consult an underfloor expert to see if this is possible. Alternatively, the pipework could be rearranged so the pump pumps upwards, but circulation direction stays the same.

The four port mixing valve shown has the circulator connected to the "outlet" port.
Maybe someone was meddling and fitted it the wrong way?

If you look on the pump body there will be an arrow showing direction of flow, the pump body (with the cable) can be rotated in any direction you choose, it does not indicate which direction the flow is, in your case it should be pumping upwards.

If you look on the pump body there will be an arrow showing direction of flow, the pump body (with the cable) can be rotated in any direction you choose, it does not indicate which direction the flow is, in your case it should be pumping upwards.
If the arrow is pointing upwards. it means that the installer has deliberately rotated the front part of the pump so the controller is on the right instead of the left. Why would anyone do that? There's plenty of room on the left for the controller.

Makes it easy to read the data plate. :idea:
:mrgreen:
And easier wired.

OP just fit a standard circulator. About £30 quid.
Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back