Underfloor heating Pumped Water "Circulation Problem&am

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i am new to this forum so hello to all who use it.. :D

I have a small problem with my under floor heating system and would like some advice on rectifying the problem. :(

Here is as much detail I can supply you with.

4 bedroom detached house fitted with a fully pumped gas central heating system, with Glow-worm traditional boiler approx 90k BTU and a Grundfoss 15/60 pump this is set at # 3. I have TRV’s fitted to all radiators a room stat set at 23 and boiler set at 3.

For information the heating system has been fine from day 1 so I can safely say the problem has occurred since I fitted the under floor heating in my conservatory.

Here we go, I have built a new conservatory and i fitted pumped water heating as I don’t like the electric type. The supply line is from a first floor bedroom, then goes down the wall approx 2.5 meters in 15mm copper, through a shut off valve, the line then changes to plastic pipe work approx 100 meters in a pattern then another valve is in place before it return up the wall to the fist floor bedroom approx 2.5 meters where it ties into the return line all 15mm pipe work.

The problem is I have to throttle various radiators to off position before I get a good flow in the conservatory.

Question 1 would it be possible to fit a second pump just for this area?
Question 2 would it be best to fit on the supply to give it extra boost or the return side?

The spare pump I have is a Grundfoss 15/50, so I would have to fit reducer’s inline as this is a 22mm connection on it.

Any advice on this will be a great help to me and it will be appreciated very much.

Please if anyone can help I also have an email address.
(removed)

Many thanks in advance.
:D

Sponsored Links
i have no experience on wet underfloor heating but as far as i do know it needs a seperate control system and pump etc
ur pump is struggling to pump round all ur system now.

other folk on here might offer good advice (not seen much on underfloor heating thou) but a quick search in the net will give u plenty of info in it

If you're running the underfloor system at full temperature you VERY lucky to have poor flow! UFH systems are generally not run above 45 - 50 degrees. Not only is it very uncomfortable for the feet. It'll also knacker the floor, crack tiles / concrete, warp wood, etc. UFH systems usually have a separate circulating pump, mixing valve and overheat cutout. Hot water from the boiler is mixed with water already circulating around the floor to achieve the desired (low) temperature.

I have to throttle various radiators to off position before I get a good flow in the conservatory
They would have to be nearly off. A radiator looks like a short, low resistance piece of pipe.
The supply to the ufh should come from the boiler, not like it was just a radiator.
Half baked botched systems like yours can work after a fashion, eg by stopping the water flowing into the loop as soon as a pipe stat on the outlet sees 45º, but it'll always be a botch. Putting a pump on the loop is likely to screw up the rest of the system.

Sponsored Links
MMM very interesting info..... so basicaly your saying dont fit another pump?
has anyone else got any ideas?
Thanks

The best advice anyone can give you is that you should follow ChrisR's advice, not just cherry pick bits of it.

cc also knows what he's talking about, and you appear to have ignored him completely.

What's the point of anyone else offering you advice?

Buy the kit of parts the ufh companies sell to eliminate these problems as CC listed.

Thanks guys.....i will rip it out and start again...lucky i have loads of money to waste..lol...

thanks
s

If you were genuine then you would avoid sarcasm.

If you were competent then you would realise that you don't have to "rip" out the underfloor piping, just get the plumbing and controls installed correctly.

Instead of giving a symptom and asking for a solution, you've proposed a solution that is incorrect. If you don't like the words that the experts write, when you've asked for free help, then I suspect that there are a great many of us here who would like it if you would b*gger off to wherever you came from.

Or to put it another way a lot of research and development money went into designing out the failure modes of underfloor heating. No good trying to reinvent the wheel on a low budget.

On the bright side you should save some money on fuel bills, as the way ufh heats a room you perceive it is warm sooner than with rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back