Underfloor heating & rads together? Help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first time poster here, would appreciate some help if possible.

My father in law passed away in Jan and left his flat halfway through his latest project; installing underfloor heating and radiators. He had not fully completed all the pipework required, and I am in the process of finding someone to finish the job. In the front room he has laid the underfloor heating, and also installed a radiator in there too. I have been told by a couple of "plumbers" that it is not possible to run both because one would upset the running of the other, and vice versa. But after reading some old threads from 2005 posted on here I'm beginning to think that it is possble. Does anyone know for sure?

And if so, how would it be done? Would I need valves at certain points on the heating? I did read somewhere that the underfloor heating could run off the return from the rads, is this true?

Any help at all would be appreciated, I don't want to get ripped off or have the job done wrong when I strongly feel that both can run together, or he would not have installed it that way.

The system he has is a Polyplumb manifold, and a water tank that can be heated either via the hot water from the boiler, or electrically. There is no Microconrtol center installed, or thermostats, except one normal stat in the front room that has had the wire run to the point where I think the Control center will go. The flat also has UFH in the kitchen, and pipes running to a rad in the back bedroom (No UFH there) and the loft has been convereted with 2 rads up there (Again no UFH up there)

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
In the front room he has laid the underfloor heating, and also installed a radiator in there too. I have been told by a couple of "plumbers" that it is not possible to run both because one would upset the running of the other, and vice versa.
They're saying that because the water in the underfloor pipework needs to be at a lower temperature than the water in the radiators.

And if so, how would it be done? Would I need valves at certain points on the heating?
The common method is to run a separate flow to the underfloor manifold, and use a blending valve and a separate pump.

I did read somewhere that the underfloor heating could run off the return from the rads, is this true?
This is sometimes done to avoid the expense and complication of an pump
and blending valve. It might work, but you won't have control over the temperature of the water in the underfloor zone.

The system he has is a Polyplumb manifold
How many zones does that manifold support?

Does the manifold have a pump attached, and any thermostatic valves, or valves of any kind?

goldberk said:
Quote:
I did read somewhere that the underfloor heating could run off the return from the rads, is this true?

This is sometimes done to avoid the expense and complication of an pump
and blending valve. It might work, but you won't have control over the temperature of the water in the underfloor zone.

what a load of pap you talk

another subject you know obviously nothing about :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back