Underfloor Heating Thermostat in Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am planning to install electric under floor heating under tiles in our new ensuite bathroom (500w total). One problem I have is that the easiest way to feed the Thermostat/timer is via a Fused spur from a (RCD protected)ring main cable that runs under the floor along the outside wall. This therfore requires the thermostat to be sited within the bathroom on the same wall. All manufacturers, except 1 state that their thermostats must be fitted outside of bathrooms to meet wiring regulations. However, one manufacturer (Heat Mat) states that their unit has a protection rating of "IP21" and that this allows fitting within a bathroom. This is ideal for me but I am unable to verify this claim by searches on the web etc. This forms part of a greater build project which will have to be Elecrically certificated before I get the building signed off. Can anyone advise please?
Also, as the ring concerned is RCD protected at the distribution box, am I correct in fitting a starightforward spur rather the RCD spur?

Thanks
Derek

Sponsored Links
The normal way we connect under floor heating is to set a temperature probe into the tile adhesive along with the heat mats / wires. This is then connected to a controller, programmer and spur all located outside the bathroom. In your situation an RCD spur is not nessacery as the circuit you will be connecting to is already protected by an RCD.

Rob

RF Lighting said:
The normal way we connect under floor heating is to set a temperature probe into the tile adhesive along with the heat mats / wires. This is then connected to a controller, programmer and spur all located outside the bathroom. In your situation an RCD spur is not nessacery as the circuit you will be connecting to is already protected by an RCD.

Rob

Excellent - thanks. This is the route we are forced into now anyway as further research (on this forum) has identified that the IP21 rated controller could be fitted in the bathroom, but only in zone 3. My planned position unfortunately lies in zone 2 so is a no goer. Luckily I can follow your lead and feed it from the other side of an internal wall with a spur off the ring that feeds the shaver point.

Again thanks
Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back