Underfloor Heating Thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to install Electric Underfloor heating into a (cold) bathroom. Looking at the specs for the 'recommended' thermostat (Hiwell - either of the suggested types rated IP20) I see in the installation notes that they shouldn't be placed in rooms containing a bath or shower. Whilst I made it clear to the suppliers that the UFH is for use in a bathroom they didn't make any comment regarding the thermostat.
Does the collected knowledge have any thoughts on the suitability of a thermostat?

I understand the thoughts on electic UFH but unfortunately a wet system is not possible without a major house refurb...

Sponsored Links
UFH thermostats detect the temperature through a sensor probe in the floor, so there is no need for the thermostat to actually be in the bathroom.
For that reason, the stats tend to be located outside the bathroom.

About to install Electric Underfloor heating into a (cold) bathroom. ... I understand the thoughts on electic UFH but unfortunately a wet system is not possible without a major house refurb...
As you seem to understand, electric UFH is unlikely to have a lot of impact on the temperature of a 'cold bathroom', even if you leave it on 24/7. Is there no form of heating other than UFH (electric or wet) that you could consider?

As for the thermostat, in view of the above, since I suspect that electric UFH would probably not raise the temperature of the air in the ('cold') bathroom up to the 'desired' level, I doubt that a wall thermostat would achieve anything, even if it were permitted in a bathroom.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
On ours the thermostat (more of a display really) is next to the switch on the wall outside. The actual temperature sensors runs in a tube, down the wall, under the wall and finished under the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back