Underfloor heating worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with my builder and the plumber who fitted my underfloor heating. In a nutshell, the plumber has laid Hetta aluminium pipes over c. 40 square metres comprising of two zones. The builder has then laid around 6cm of semi dry aggregate-based fibre screed. He's then added self level compound on top. The only thing left to lay is karndean vinyl floor.

The problems I have identified to date are as follows :-

1. The water pipes were not hot when the screed was laid so I am worried that when they heat and expand, it will crack the screed. (I'm not sure whether this was the plumber or builders responsibility)

2. No insulation was applied around the edging of the screed so I guess there's a risk of cracking either within the screed or the wall plaster (again not sure if this was builder or plumbers responsibility)

3. The self level compound that's been applied was 10 bags of Palace compound mixed with 4 bottles of Febflor latex and 6 part water. (I'm not so worried about this given it's only about 2-3mm in depth).

particularly on the first point, it would be great to know what others recommend I do now? It's been about 3 weeks since the screed was laid so I believe it's too early for my to switch the heating on. I've got to make a call on whether I either :-

a) Crack on with laying the vinyl floor and fitting the kitchen and hope for the best

or

b) dig it all back out and do it again. This will cost c. £500 for the screed and another £1500 for the underfloor heating (presuming the pipes can't be saved).

Would welcome all opinions.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• 20200626_152101.jpg
    20200626_152101.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 20200630_174120.jpg
    20200630_174120.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 226
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back