underfloor heating

lor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when plastic underfloor heating pipes are laid in screed ,how do they expand ?

ta :?: :rolleyes: :!:

Sponsored Links
Depends on the system.

Underside of the floor and sides require insulation to allow for this.

Often need to be installed (when screeding) under pressure, then left for several weeks (curling process to be completed) until gradual heat is feed to them to ensure that they do not cause this type of issue.

Once up and running fully, the rooms themselves can take some time to warm then heat up - therefore reducing expansion issues.

It's only when the piping is crossing over (or close to) other areas that have not been planned for underfloor heating that you may need to think about running some of the piping in conduits to allow for expansion.

Most manufacturers seem quite specific to their own requirements (depth and mix of screeding etc) therefore you may wish to pick a brand and quiz the manufacturer.

Sort of ... wrong!

1. Plastic pipes don't expand much and if they're locked into screed, they can't!

2. When a U/F matrix is laid, it should be pressurised before the screed is poured and left pressurised while it goes hard. This is to ensure no kinks on the bends and that the weight of the screed does not crush the pipes.

3. You follow manufacturers directions to the letter! That way, you get some warranty. AFAIK, there is NEVER conduit around U/F matrix pipes. If so, how would the heat transfer into the screed? (Conduit around other pipes under screed is another issue altogether - it's normally to protect the pipe and (in desperate circumstances) to allow the pipe to be pulled out and replaced.)

4. Waiting to apply heat until the screed has cured and then building up gradually is to prevent cracks in the floor.

Hi croydoncorgi,

Me thinks your a bit too quick off the mark with your answers.

Your answer to 1) Didn't believe I qouted they actually would expand. Just referring to the fact insulation is needed around edges - what's up with this ?

2) OK and? What am I saying different ?

3) Your approach is clearly more direct than mine. What am I saying different here - apart from contacting the manufacturers as most are quite specific ?

4) I referred to this as a 'type of issue'. Did you read it differently ?

You could always try and add to the discussion with a structured addition rather than try and pick holes in something that was read with haste.

Sponsored Links
... I referred to this as a 'type of issue'. Did you read it differently ?

You could always try and add to the discussion with a structured addition rather than try and pick holes in something that was read with haste.

Au contraire :)

Expansion is a complete non-issue with PEX pipe.
I was trying to be polite to everyone!

The reason for conduit is to make it possible to remove the pipe and to protect it. Nowt to do with expansion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back