Underfloor heating...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...

building an extension at the moment and am wondering about underfloor heating for the kitchen diner which is approx length 3.5M X width 5M.

I have no ideas about pros / cons, costs and how I would go about doing this.

Would be grateful for any advice...

thx

Sponsored Links
Pro's: tiles are nice and warm on your feet, and no rads in sight.

Con's: time lag of up to several hours (3-4 is possible) between turning on and the room nice and warm.
Therefore it needs a completely independent additional set of controls, time and stat.
10 times more expensive than rads to install.
Very hard to correct if it turns out that something was not installed correctly.

The thermal time constant is also causing it to waste all the heat for 2-3 hours AFTER its needed while its still hot.

Best for retired people who need heat all day long.

Heat output is also only about 0.05 kW per m² and thats often insufficient for smaller rooms. Best for schools, libraries and care homes.

Tony

thank you gents...I was initially against the idea but wanted to make sure as I have the opportunity now to install.

Appreciate your responses...
V

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back