water underfloor heating in new kitchen extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building an extension to my kitchen/diner and replacing the floor totally in the kitchen half. I currently have rads in the diner side - timber floor but I am interested in underfloor heating in the kitchen side and I am thinking of connecting into my existing hot water circuit. Where do you normally house the manifold for the underfloor system - would this normally go inside one of the kitchen cupboards? Do you think the syetm will work ok with rads in the diner side - will this affect the sensor - Does any one have any pictures of an installed system showing where the manifold is housed or any links to good sites?

Sponsored Links
The manifold can pretty much go where you want it locally to the extention, though you will need to route flow and return from your existing heating system.

clf-gas said:
The manifold can pretty much go where you want it locally to the extention, though you will need to route flow and return from your existing heating system.

Is that the best you can do ?.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments so far

The randall-danfloss controller looks like it could be the answer

The kitchen part of the kitchen diner will be just under 20sq/m without any cupboards/appliance etc. With units appliances etc it would be around 12sq/m of floor that could be walked on - Why does the danfloss FHV-R say only upto 10sq/m?

I am also considering a plinth heater connected to the central heating - are these any good?

tukka142 wrote

Why does the danfloss FHV-R say only upto 10sq/m?

Not entirely sure.
Wirsbo use it with 14 sq/m.
Danfoss,s FHV-R installation rules state the following -
1- Solid floor with minimum 75mm screed
2- Pipe must be laid down in a snail pattern (though I would opt for double meander)
3- Maximum 15 sq/m floor area with 15mm pipe
4-Maximum 300mm centre distance between pipes.
5- Maximum flow temperature 90c.

Tukka, did you install the UFH in your kitchen?

Which method did you use please?
I'm in a similar situation having to replace a damp concrete floor and hoping to improve the heating in the kitchen area.

Can anyone let me know if the Myson valve system - that regulates return water temp - works for small areas.

Thanks in advance,
Graham

Grahamp wrote

Can anyone let me know if the Myson valve system - that regulates return water temp

Which valve are you referring to ?.

Thanks for the reply Tukky

Baleza,

Sorry I gave confusing information. It is the Danfoss FHV-R valve that I am considering. Not Myson

My worry is that the incoming water may be relatively hot compared to a more expensive pumped system that regulates the flow temperature.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Graham

PS...

the kitchen part is only 3m x 2.25 m - and two sides will have units, so the floor area is quiet small.

Graham

The high flow temperature entering the loop is not an issue as the fhv-r will not allow this temperature to flow through the loop .
The high temperature soon becomes cooled due to the heat transfer between the pipe and the screed , down to the temp that the fhv-r is regulated at and causes no harm.
Considering the small floor area you have avalible I would opt for kickspace heaters or a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back