Underlay vs Thicker Carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a underlay a requirement, or can you get away with just having a thicker carpet?

Sponsored Links
It depends on the backing. Some need an underlay some don't, can't remember which though and I'm no carpet expert as you can probably tell! :mrgreen:

The quality in the underlay will determine the life of the carpet.

Buy the best underlay there is and your carpet will last longer and feel much better under foot.

(Other half's family is from a Flooring/carpet back ground)

Andy

Thanks for the replies guys!

Is it worth spending money on those "sound proof" underlays? Or is that just a gimmick with no real benefits.

Sponsored Links
Dont know about soundproofing underlay, but an underlay makes a world of diffrence to a carpet, and carpet does make wood floors quieter.

In a rented out I was in they had not put underlay under the tread of a step between the front and rear of the house, although they rest of the house had it, and it was very noticable.

Daniel

Hi i am a carpet fitter of 30yrs
no you dont need underlay but you will feel a massive diffrance with and without.
also if there is a fault on your carpet forsome reason and your carpet needs underlay and did not put it down some manufactures will not replace your carpet for that reason.
if your carpet is hessian or action back i would say put underlay down then wooden grippers must be used to get tention on yous carpet.
hope this helps. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back