Understairs cupboard/drawers on the cheap!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I would like some storage under our stairs, and some pull out drawers I think would be perfect...whilst I'm pretty good at DIY, I'll admit that I'm not great at cutting straight lol

So, (and to do it on the cheap), I was thinking of buying some IKEA kitchen pull out larder units, modifying the carcass to fit, and then chopping the door to fit the angle of the stairs...

Sounds feasible? or do you think that the cut doors would look tacky...

This is the kind of thing I would like...

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/graphics10/workbench-under-stairs-storage.jpg

Sponsored Links
I remember a very smart set of understairs storage where the person had made some trolleys, with rubber-tyred wheels, them put fake sloping doors on the front of them.

I remember a very smart set of understairs storage where the person had made some trolleys, with rubber-tyred wheels, them put fake sloping doors on the front of them.
Thats how I made mine, fixed wheels so the storage move straight out and back.Made two unit to fit under the stairs, basically two large draws on wheels.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for the tips...I think I have the actual cupboard sorted now...but how can I cut the sloping doors without looking poor?

Ok, thanks for the tips...I think I have the actual cupboard sorted now...but how can I cut the sloping doors without looking poor?
assuming you are using faced boards like melamane you cant really you need to get that bit proffesionaly cut and edged

I was thinking there would be some panelling under the stairs already that you could use, isn't that right? You might need to fix battens or ply to the back of it to hold it rigid.

A panel saw and a lot of practice, or a circular saw with a batten to keep it straight, will cut the best straight line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back