Understairs utility room ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm planning to convert an understairs cupboard into a utility room.

As clothes will be drying in there I want to add a means of constant mechanical ventilation, however as the house is semi-detached, with the 'utility room' against the party wall, I was wondering how I could duct ventilation in.

One option was ducting under the floor void (theres a good 3 foot gap under the suspended floor) and out of an external wall - is this even viable? (the outside walls are about 4 metres away, not allowing for any bends)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do that. Use 150mm pipe. Moisture will probably condense in the pipe, so you'll need some sort of drain for that - where could you route it?

OK if the pipe slopes all the way to the outside. 100mm and one of those continuous slow-running eco-fans will probably be adequate.

Or use a dehumidifier for drying clothes which will be more effective.

If you have a tumble dryer under the stairs please consider a smoke detector in there too. Because air will be extracted from the cupvoard to the outside, so will smoke, so an early smouldering fire may not activate a smoke detector outside the cupboard.

Thanks both

Hadn't considered a dehumidifier option, although long term I worry about it actually being used!

I hadn't considered condensation in the pipe, if a continuous extraction was running would condensation be an issue then?

I'm not sure if it would be possible to have the pipe work slopping down towards the outside. Another option is to have the pipe work go up and into the inter-floor void above and then out - I presume condensation is not an issue then (due to the pipe being warm)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if a continuous extraction was running would condensation be an issue then?

Yes.

Another option is to have the pipe work go up and into the inter-floor void above and then out - I presume condensation is not an issue then (due to the pipe being warm)?

You should still allow for it, though it's easier in this case as you just need to make sure there is a slight downward slope towards the outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back