Understanding drawing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a plan for replacing a stud load bearing wall with a steel beam,
On the drawings it states that I should sit the shs post onto a steel plate onto the existing wood sole plate..
I have a pic of the drawing....could anyone please explain if I am correct.
Many thanks. Screenshot_20190301-120357.png
Screenshot_20190301-120357.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm guessing "wallpaper" was your typo or you need to go to Specsavers but it definitely says steel baseplate fixed to timber sole plate.

I hope there is something substantial under that timber sole plate.

Yep wessex it should read sole plate,
That's what I was questioning if the floor is solid is it OK to stand the steel post direct to the timber sole plate?
The steel post will be hidden inThe existing stud wall.

Last edited:
Reads to me like the steel needs a 10mm bottom welding on to close the square section.

Sponsored Links
Yeah Ian I think that's right but I'm concerned about where it's fixed, ie the timber plate and if that is enough to take the load on it.

Is it actually necessary to have a steel post to support the UB? If the beam is a 152x89, it may not be carrying too much load.
Did your SE consider using 3 or 4 lengths of 3x2 studding screwed together to make a column?
It's perfectly feasible to support steel beams off studwork and can be a lot easier and cheaper than faffing about with a steel post.

Hi Tony, the steel is 152X 89 and spans 10 ft the s/o never mentioned about timber supports....is it worth mention this as a easier possibility . Thanks

Last edited:
There u go noseall

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-183712.png
    Screenshot_20190301-183712.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20190301-183728.png
    Screenshot_20190301-183728.png
    945.3 KB · Views: 78
Hi Tony, the steel is 152X 89 and spans 10 ft the sender never mentioned about timber supports....is it worth mention this as a easier possibility . Thanks

This is a timber-framed 1990s house being re-modelled. The steel column in the middle supports a steel beam running across the house, party wall to party wall. On the far wall, you will see a small hole in the plasterwork just below where the beam enters the wall. The purpose of the hole was to check what was supporting the beam, and it was four timber studs nailed together (though unfortunately you can't see them close-up in this pic).
DSCF8991.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back