understanding electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I intend to renew a very old junction box, to fix a mess of wires left over from the initial central heating installation, but first I need to understand what controls what.

So I am really looking for a bit of advice really from you experts out there.
I have an old gas boiler and storage tank and radiator system. I have recently upgraded the control system to a Hive stat, and now intend to tidy up the wiring in phase 2, phase 3 will probably be the motorised valves.

So I have worked out that I have control wires for each hot water and heating valves, and another for the tank thermostat. What is a little confusing is how the pump is controlled. Is this on all the time, or only when needed. So in order to answer the question, where does the power come from.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

regards
Chris

Sponsored Links
As above, there are so many possible variations, whilst the standard wiring plans exist, allowance has to be made for differences when using certain components. 2 and 3 wire stats, some boilers control the pump to provide pump overrun, so require a constant live feed, a switched live for when heat is required, and then return the live feed to power the pump as required. Without more knowledge of your system, it is impossible to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back